1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demo'd Arcam AVR200 today @ Audio-T

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jonmurgie, Apr 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well I'm finally getting into a position sort out my home cinema after some rather scary tax bills!! Earlier in the year I was pretty decided to go for the Yamaha DSP-750AX but today I found myself in Audio-T being demo'd the Arcam AVR200 as part of there special offer on these end of range amps...

They are offering the AVR200 for £450 and if you combine it with the Arcam DV89 player they are also doing the deal comes out at £1100.

Now I'm pretty decided on the speakers for the moment, the Kef 2005.2's with the center upgraded to the Q6c (I found it gave a much stronger sound) and using my Velodyne CRT-10 sub.

I will be using my system around 90% movies and 10% music. Having explained this I was a little surprised to be shown the Arcam as I understand these are damned fine for music so perhps not the ideal thing for me.

Now the setup sounded/looked great... but they didn't have a Yam in stock and the only other 'cheap' amp they had there was a Denon 1905 which I know I don't want as it's not powerful enough (have heard a 1705 already).

So basically I've got nothing to compare the Arcam too... and I'm wondering whether I would do best to just stick to my original decision and go for the Yam as they are now around the £350 mark (and maybe less soon as the new models come out?)

Sorry, I guess that's a bit of a vauge question but I just wanted to get it off my chest really.. is he out dated Arcam gonna give me more pleasure than the Yam? And I've seen on another thread that the Kef's don't do the Arcam justice... will they do the Yam justice?

2. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think you should try and get a demo of the one you wnated in the first place.

You have heard the Arcam, and if you get the Yam and don't like the sound in comparison to the Arcam you will be dissapointed.

3. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Jon,

I take it you are planning on a 5.1 set-up and no interest in 6.1 or 7.1 if you are considering the Arcam.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Well I agree the Arcam probably deserves better than the eggs, but if music is not that important to you then the Yam 750Se is a fine amp.

I use mine with the Kef Q series (Q4; Q6c and Q-compacts) and they go very well together. It has more than enough power to drive those so would have thought it wouldn't have any problems running the eggs,

5. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have a pretty odd shaped lounge/dining room setup so 5.1 is all I'm after right now... but having looked into the Arcam a little more I don't it's for me. I'm going to get a proper demo of the Yam and see how I fair with that :)

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Jon,

If 5.1 is your aim, perhaps the Yamaha might not be the "right" amp for you either. Do you need the other features that come with the current generations of amps (ie video conversion, automatic setup etc).

On a 5.1 shoot-out, the better quality pre-amp section and amplification of the Arcam would, IMHO, be better than the Yamaha. Yes, it is overkill for the eggs, but at the price of the Arcam, this (i think) shouldn't be a matter of concern for dismissing the Arcam.

I would also be doing a quick search through the 2nd hand market to see if any other alternatives would meet your needs.

7. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The only thing I ultimately do is have the least ammount of wires running to the TV (42" Tosh RP) as the wiring will be run around the room a little... ideally all the sources (SKY, DVD, PS2, Xbox) want to go directly to the Amp and then just one source to the TV.

Will the Arcam do that?

8. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As far as I know it doesn't.