Demo'd and bought an AE500

(GTV)Chris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
£1400 UK model.

The quality is excellent.
As a previous AE100 owner I can say that contrast and resolution are fab.
The smooth screen technology is bizzar, standing up close to the screen it's difficult to see the structure.
It is increadibly quiet, very quiet indeed.
It was set up in the shop using component input from a prog scan DVD player but with a huge amount of keystoning.
But it still looked great. Viewed Gladiator, Jurassic parkIII and Spiderman to test bright and dark scenes and I was impressed.
Black levels are not truly black but still impressive and as I can't handle DLP rainbows it has been a geed choice although I had to peel my wife off the cieling
:p
It was the first model the shop got in and I was first to play with it.
The guy in the shop was a great help and it was calming to know that if there are any problems I can take it straighht back and deal face to face with them.
Cheers

Chris

When you get a chance can you have a look for VB on your AE-500 as this seems to be the only grumble with this machine so far.

Any chance of some comparison screen shots between the two AE-100 and the AE-500?

It honestly doesn't bother me at all.
I have set it up quickly at home tonight via Component (usually I go VGA) and it looks utterly stunning.
It took my breath away.
I was used to a fab image with the AE100 but this is in a different class.
Vertical banding is visible if you stand close to the screen... but with the smoothe screen technology it isnt a problem.
I drove my wife up the wall tonight playing approx 7 discs on my system...all looked pretty darn good to me :)

Cheers

Chis

Hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread, but can I ask what Vertical Banding is and what it looks like...i'm sure i'm asking a stupid question, but some seem to see it and others don't...so i'd like to know.

Cheers,
Matt

Originally posted by Semiskimmed1976
Hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread, but can I ask what Vertical Banding is and what it looks like...i'm sure i'm asking a stupid question, but some seem to see it and others don't...so i'd like to know.

Cheers,
Matt

Noooooooooooo dont go there :eek:

Don't look for what you can't see or you'll end up spending more time looking for defects than you will just enjoying the movie :suicide:

Dead right.....THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS VERTICAL BANDING!! :D

haha ok - but i'm must persist :)

I know it doesn't exist ;) but is it inherent more so on certain PJs than others??

(GTV)Chris
I'm not too far away from Manchester... can you tell me where you did your demo please... I'd like to do that myself.

cheers
Andrew

A place down Bridge St (near the centre) called PRACTICAL HIFI.
Nice bunch of guys.
I know this price is about £180 more than an internet price but I do like dealing with people just down the road.
I bought the only one they had but they will be getting much more in.
Good luck

Chris

yep, I did it quickly last night but buggered up the powerstrip settings :(
Although in powerstrip I can simply choose 1280x720 HDTV mode and it works.
Someone told me to set the projector to EDID 2 in the menu - I have no idea what this is or does ...Anyone know?

Ta

Chris

No such thing as vb? There's no such thing as rainbows either, people only see them cos first they read about them and then they strain themselves looking for them.

Originally posted by (GTV)Chris
yep, I did it quickly last night but buggered up the powerstrip settings :(
Although in powerstrip I can simply choose 1280x720 HDTV mode and it works.
Someone told me to set the projector to EDID 2 in the menu - I have no idea what this is or does ...Anyone know?

It does "something" to make the projector output at 50hz, which for pal mean silky smooth. This will prevent microstuttering when playing pal material over a 60hz output. Only some people can see it, but I have a feeling I might be overly sensitive to this. So it'd be interesting to find out your experiences with this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom