1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demo'd an HS10.......disappointed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spiderv6, Feb 20, 2003.

1. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I finally was able to demo an HS10 this week and I was a bit disappointed.

The room I saw it in wasn't perfect (i.e. there was a lot of ambient light) but I guess it was not too far from the average living room.

My biggest disappointment was the quality of the image while up-close. This was very fuzzy (or 'soft') and not atall what I expected. Obviously from further back this was much less apparent. It wasn't running in progressive scan mode (which is what I would do) but through the PJ Multi wire - maybe that's part of the reason (?)

The screen door effect that we hear so much about was non-existenet as far as I was concerned. That was the most impressive thing. Individual pixels were pretty hard to pick out.

The noise - yes it's noisy. Switching to cinema mode did halve the noise levels to an acceptable amount but that also makes the image quite a bit less sharp/bright.

I had every intention of leaving the shop with an HS10 but I just wasn't happy with the quality to make a decision. I need to now look higher up the price chain to see if paying more makes a big difference.

This is the first PJ I've ever seen demo'd and I know little about PJ's but I'm afraid it just didn't match my expectations.

I'm glad I didn't take the plunge and just order one now!

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did the guy perform a focus?

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'm surprised to hear this. My only two complaints about this pj are its noisy fan and black level could be better.

As far as a fuzzy image is concerned I found that this projector gives a very sharp image even from svideo. How close to the screen were u when u found the image fuzzy?

Conor

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised by this too.

I own the HS10 and I find the picture quality very high for a unit in this price range. I don't find it 'soft' or 'fuzzy'. The only thing I can think of is that either:

a) it wasn't focused.
    b) You were viewing a large image too close.
    c) The source material was exceptionally poor - like VHS for example.

From my normal seating position 2.8 metres from a 180cm wide screen, I find the picture very sharp and nothing to complain about.