Demo write up - Lyndorf, NAD M10, Special 40's ProAc DT8, LS50s, Amphion Argon 1, Rubicon 2, B&W 700 series

frogcarmichael

Standard Member
Hello All.

In some other threads, I've received a lot of advice on a system set up. I had a demo day yesterday and I thought I would give something back to the community.
Here is a write-up on my impressions of a series of speakers and a couple of amps.
A few things first - I live in China, and so this, like all things here, was a bit of an adventure. Nothing turns out as planned, but you uncover some gems along the ways!

My "audiophile rating". I like music, I like the emotional impact of it. I can tell the difference, easily, between a 192kps and 320kps feed. I can almost tell the difference between 320kbs and CD - if I really listen hard and do A/B testing, but then maybe I can’t 😊

Unless noted, this was all CD quality streaming from my Deezer account.

So, first up
Lyndorf 2170 and Dali Rubicon 2.
With Cat Power – The Greatest, I felt detail in the top end, but not as much emotion as my Tannoy Revolution 6 that I currently own.
With Chemical Brothers - Das Speigel - the bass really kicked - sharp, tight and forceful. Really got me into it.

Lyndorf 2170 and Special 40s.
Ahh the difference...Cat Power came alive. Anne Sofie von Otter felt like she was in the room, real detail and "air" between the notes.
Bjork Hyperballad (Brosky quartet remix). This can get harsh and screechy on the high notes, but the Special 40s stayed smooth throughout. It definitely took me along with the soaring melody.
Bjork. Mutual Core. This has DEEP base, with plenty of texture. The difference here with the Rubicons was also starck. Whilst the Rubocons kicked, they missed the texture of the base in the song, the ability to pull the roughness of the notes was much better with the 40s.

Lyndorf 2170 and ProAc DT8

I really wanted to like these, and the DT8 gave hard charging base, BUT, compared to the special 40s, the base was overblown. On Mutual Core, Bjork, the 40s kept her in front of the bass, clearly giving her voice space, whilst allowing the base to blossom behind and beneath. The DT8 got the base right, but pushed Bjork’s voice backwards in the sound stage

The final nail in the coffin was a comparison of Prodigy-Posion. The high hat resolved into individual notes with the Special 40s, with the DT8s it was a single stream.

In its favour – this is a harsh high hat and the DT8 didn’t make it too tough on the ears.

I then tested the same songs, with the same speakers on the NAD M10.

I could not tell ANY difference between the Lyndorf and the NAD.

I think this is a reflection on my ears, rather than else 😊

Then I moved on to another shop where I tried the B&W 707 S2 and 705 S2.

The shop wouldn’t let me play my own music and had the speakers connected to some the biggest amps I have ever seen. I had never heard of their name. Also, the cables were comically big.

All in all, the 707s gave a good account of themselves, but felt and looked small. They were clear enough but lacking in body.

The 705s were a clear step-up. The clarity and air between the notes was great. There was body to the music and I was caught up (slightly) with the random Chinese crooner they had on.

I think the 705 could have brought themselves well into the mix, but the shop’s attitude turned me off and I moved on.

Next was a Big Marantz amp (not sure which one) and the Amphion Argon1.

Oh my lord, what a sweet vocal performance.

Sofie van Otter was genuinely in the room. The mid range was really special on the Bjork Hyperballad remix, and there was some bass for a small speaker (although nothing like the Special 40s)

They put on a Chinese female vocalist on CD as well, and I was totally drawn in.

I’m going for a 2.1 and these would have been a wonderful fit, knowing that the base would be taken care of by the sub.

Finally, some KEF LS50 on the same Marantz amp.

The detail and clarity on these was excellent, as good as the Amphions, to my ear. They seemed to rock a bit more and there was more depth (back to front space) to the experience, but this was all very very close to the Amphions.

The KEF LS50s were the ones I bought (along with the NAD M10). To be honest, between them and the Amphions, it was very close, but, I got a better deal on the KEF, some matching speaker stands and I have to say, the comfort of knowing how well respected the KEFLS50s are.

Given I could not tell the difference in the amps and the Lyndorf TDAI1120 will not get here for a very long time, I took the NAD – form, usability and DIRAC.

So, there you are.

All will arrive at my house next week and I’ll get to play around for a while!

Thanks to all that have helped get me here!

I’m now going to ask a very stupid cable question in another thread.

larkone

If you were trying different speakers on the Lyngdorf then they should have run Roomperfect each time to get the absolute best from the amp and speakers and the whole point of owning a Lyngdorf amp - you don't say if they did that

frogcarmichael

Standard Member
Hiya. You are right. They said the amp RP was set up for the room was in. Limited communication, given they didn't speak English and me no Chinese. There was no re calibration for each set of speakers, but it was a pretty heavily damped room -corner bass traps, diffusers, side wall treatment etc.

Douggie

Hiya. You are right. They said the amp RP was set up for the room was in. Limited communication, given they didn't speak English and me no Chinese. There was no re calibration for each set of speakers, but it was a pretty heavily damped room -corner bass traps, diffusers, side wall treatment etc.

Different speakers give out VERY different frequency responses (bookshelf Rubicon2, 40s vs floorstanders DT8?? OMG), so they are incorrect that it's "setup" for the room. Just lazy ass people, LOL.

larkone

Different speakers give out VERY different frequency responses (bookshelf Rubicon2, 40s vs floorstanders DT8?? OMG), so they are incorrect that it's "setup" for the room. Just lazy ass people, LOL.
and nothing like room treatment for killing the sound quality - pointless with a properly set up Lyngdorf amp.

Douggie

and nothing like room treatment for killing the sound quality - pointless with a properly set up Lyngdorf amp.

Lol. The room treatment are just theatrical props to make people perceive that shop is "high end" and means serious business. Totally useless gimmick that make things worse because 99.99% of people's homes (where we will be eventually listening) don't have such stuff.

DT79

Demoing a Lyngdorf amp and not taking the time to do a RP set-up for each pair of speakers is utterly moronic.

But not as moronic as the muppets who wouldn't let you demo the kit with your own music...I would have walked out.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Yup... utter waste of time listening to any Lyngdorf that doesn’t have a properly run RP set up for each speaker.

It simply isn’t possible to make any comparisons.

You would have been better off without the RP for all of the speakers; but then what’s the point of that?

Last edited:

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Thanks for posting this.

It is useful for anyone who will be getting a demo where RoomPerfect will be used. If you are going for a dem, the speakers must be calibrated in the position they will be used in and to the seat they will be listened from, if not your won’t hear the speakers the way they should sound.

RoomPerfect is the only correction system that captures the sound of the speakers used and preserves it.

I’m sorry the dealer you visited was too lazy to do this for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom