1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demo Sagem/Optoma/Tosh/Samsung in Berkshire anywhere ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Chumpy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see the Tosh or Samsung at Comet in Reading, but I'm looking for somewhere ideally for a decent demo before I shell out my cash and really coming unstuck .... any suggestions welcomed. On the Sagem front I'm on about the HD-45 rather than the Axium as I have seen that running the HD demo in Comet too.

Would be nice to see them with a nicely matched high-spec Denon or Arcam player to replace my ageing Pioneer 717 but I'd settle just demo'ing the screens at this stage :)

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The HD-D45 is the Axium HD-D45, I think what you're referring to as the Axium is the Axium D50. If there's a John Lewis near you they might have a HD-D45 on display.

3. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep you're right on the axium - however JL in Reading don't stock any Sagem and actually said it would cost me more than list price if I wanted to buy it through them.

4. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    More than list price ? ?

'Never knowingly undersold' - its not just a motto, they live by this.

JL seem to be employing muppets in their audio visual depts now. That or they have bonused them so the behave in a manner indistinguishable from muppets.
    (if it walks like a muppet and talks like a muppet - it is a muppet !)

I have shopped at JLs for decades - still do in the other depts. This is a shame to see them come to this.

5. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the risk of being called a thread necromancer I thought I'd let anyone else know who maybe interested in demo'ing these sets :)

First of all I'd like to say thanks to a wholesaler that offered to demo the set to me even though he didn't sell to the public - in the end it was a little out of my way, so I didn't take him up on it.

The Sagem 45" is now on display in Comet at Reading (the one next to the Stadium, not the prison).

The Samsung is on display at Curry's (Same complex as PC World and Halfords in Reading, just down from the stadium).

The Sagem in Comet seems well setup - using the same NEC HD PC they used to demo the 50" version that was there previously. It is now running the new demo's, not the old T2 and American Football ones. It is using component input with what looks like a half-decent set of cables.

Overall I liked the set, althought I was a little disappointed with how the speakers seem to attach to the TV itself - they didn't exactly feel like they were firmly part of the set.

NB although the other DLP sets remain at the back of the TV section, the Sagem is now on the right as you enter the TV section with it's own floorspace.

The Samsung in Curry's is setup using RF :nono: but if you ask nicely they'll hook up a DVD player to it for you. The sales assistant I talked to was actually fairly knowledgeable on the DLP technology which was a surprise.

The TV itself isn't setup properly in terms of colour/contrast/sharpness, and although I had a quick play with the settings I was a little disappointed with the results. There seemed to be noticeable ghosting, and the PQ just didn't seem as bright or well defined as the Sagem (maybe due to the Tosh 2109 DVD Player and scart cable being used - to be honest I didn't pay too much attention).

One thing I did like on the Samsung is the dinky touch sensitive light up buttons in the pedestal stand - I think it's a nice touch, but I could see some might see them as a little tacky.

Incidentally the TV that got me interested in DLP in the first place the LG 44" is now down to £999 in Comet

Looks like I'll be plumping for the Sagem eventually, probably combined with a Denon 2910 connecting it via HDMI, but need to finance a house move first (well that and give it some space to breathe).

/begin Homer Accent/ Must resist temptation, must leave bank account alone, must buy house first .... mmmm donuts /end Homer Accent/ :)

6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you check out how the Sagem 45 handles faces in the local Comets they have Hidef demo's running & out of about 30 minutes there is only about 2 minutes showing faces the formula one demo i saw had a problem with skin tones

Audiovision sell the tosh sagem 45 & Optoma RD50

46 Market Square, St.Neots, Cambridgeshire, PE19 2AF.

Tel : 01480 471202. Open Monday to Saturday 9.30am till 5.30pm

Please always call us before traveliing to confirm stocks are available.

Audiovision