demo required Panasonic 42PHD8 / Pioneer 42MXE10 + Lumagen

S

scooby15mpg

Hi

I'm both new to forum's and know very little about AV systems but not withstanding this I'm keen to purchase a 42” plamsa + scaler .

My good mate, damo_in_sale is not so clueless & has advised that I go for either a Panasonic 42PHD8 or a Pioneer 42MXE10. He's also convinced me of the need for a video processor.:lesson: I can just about afford a lumagen. The plan is to set the kit up and “run it in” and then spend even more petrol tokens getting the system “calibrated”. (Now I really am out of my depth):boring:

OK. Before I spend any money I would like to see a demo, ideally of both plasmas, together with a lumagen scaler. I live in Preston and would be prepared to travel a reasonable distance,

Any of you experts out there know of a likely venue??

Cheers

Ralph

MAW said:
Your nearest serious gent will be Piers, Home cinema engineering. He's near Telford, it could be worse. He's got a Lumagen and a phd8, I'd contact him about a demo. www.homecinemaengineering.co.uk I believe.

Cheers Martin. It looks like we're going to have difficulty getting a look at the MXE10, I can't even find a place that sells them. It looked interesting due to a possible native at 50Hz over DVI with HDCP. I'm still not convinced of this though, there's no mention of this in the brochure... http://www.pioneer.co.uk/files/brochures/05_MMD/PDP42MXE10.pdf

I've noticed av-sales appear to be selling PHD8's for £1750 which seems tremendous (for that price my XDE might well get sent to the bedroom). My thoughts were to get a Lumagen Vision DVI with BNC outputs going to plasma VGA at native res for all non HDCP stuff and the Lumagen to plasma DVI blade for all HDCP stuff.

Any thoughts would be welcome (Gordon seemed to think this makes sense).

Oh, does the PHD already have a vga socket or is a blade required? And is the DVI blade HDCP compatible and hence HD-Ready? (I assume it does what the HDMI blade does but allows for more resolutions, is this correct?).

Damo

It's a long way to Surrey for you! The MXE10 does indeed do native at 50Hz, I don't have one yet, but will be getting one soon. Prob the 50" though.

damo_in_sale said:
Cheers, but I think the PHD8 or MXE10 is the way to go.

baah sorry i was not paying attention i thought it was the pwd8 you were after. :rolleyes:

damo_in_sale said:
Oh, does the PHD already have a vga socket or is a blade required? And is the DVI blade HDCP compatible and hence HD-Ready? (I assume it does what the HDMI blade does but allows for more resolutions, is this correct?).

I sure the above is schoolboy question, but can somebody address this for me please?

The PHD8 includes a VGA socket as standard. The DVI card includes HDCP.

Piers said:
The PHD8 includes a VGA socket as standard. The DVI card includes HDCP.
Cheers mate.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom