demo of svs sub

ridd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Its a bit short notice but i was hoping that someone northamptonshire/midlands area would be in a postion to dem myself and a friend an svs sub, either box or tube type.
I have a dead servo 15 to replace and he has a wallet to empty.
The only position i have for placement though is the corner of the room.

Anyone there able to help us out ?

Hi Rid
Iam sure Ianj will offer to demo his to you,Hes only up the road in tamworth failing that you could have a listen to mine.
Cheers Gonzo.

I live in Tamworth close to the M42 and you would be more than welcome to come for a listen.

Thanks for the reply's.

Tamworth isnt too far im told so perhaps we could arrange a vist with you ian. It would have to be durring the day tomorrow for us tho. is that convieniant. Also any pointers as to which is the most suitable for room corner positionins , the pc plus 20-39 or the pb2 plus/isd ?
Im guessing im not going to be disspointed after my servo-15 ?

Thanks again
Mark

I'm afraid that tomorrow isn't the best day for me but Sunday would be OK. Conversely I work from home so a weekday would also be OK.

My 20-39 PC Plus is in a corner and works quite well but I have no idea whether the traditional shaped subs would work there so well.

Both GaryG and Orbital are Servo15 owners who have heard mine and I think were impressed.

SVS actually say the optimum positioning of their cylinder subs is in a corner. I'm to to sure about the boxes, but I think generally corners are a good place for most subs.

I had mine in the front right corner initially but I found it a little too boomy there, I tried moving it between the right and center speaker but alas these things aren't magneticly shielded at all and it played havoc with my TV. Since then I've had it in the mid point of my 12'x24' room, slightly in front of my right where there is a 1' outcrop of wall. It worked okay there but not as seemless as the front. Due to space limits I've moved it to a simular position just behind the sofa on the left wall, again with an L shaped outcrop. Seems less spotable there but I've not tuned the levels yet. The bins are certainly easier to roll around the room then a monster box. :)

I've not used another sub in this house so can't compare.

Originally posted by ailean
I tried moving it between the right and center speaker but alas these things aren't magneticly shielded at all and it played havoc with my TV.

You must of had it touching the TV as i have mine next to the TV....its about 3" away and i have no probs.

I had it about 6" away and moved it to about 1' but by then the right speaker was pushed behind more furnature so not much use, maybe mine was just extra leaky. :)

My TV might be more sensitive to magnetic fields too.

Hi Ailean
My mates is right next to his tv and no problems with staining either.
Gonzo.

im not sure but i dont think plasma is affected by magnetism.

Im stuck trying to decide between a pc plus 20-39
pc ultra
or a pb2 plus

i was happy with my servo untill it died, with no intentions to upgrade. So im only gonna do this once and therefore i want to get the right one. The £200 or difference between these models is of far less importance to than getting the right one for my needs and room. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Mark

The PB2 Plus has similar tuning capabilities of the 20-39 PC Plus, with 16Hz, 20Hz or 25Hz selectable with the subsonic tuning ports. However, the PB2 Plus has TWO drivers and nearly double the amp power!
If I were choosing one myself I would choose the box sub like a shot.
I am slightly biased in that I had a cylinder myself and grew to dislike the look of it, and it appears a couple of other people are starting to share the same opinion.
The powered cylinders I think are probably an aquired taste and you'll either love it or hate it.
However, if you are gonna buy the best sub you can, I think with your given selection the PB2 Plus will win hands down.
I think you should go round to Ian's on Sunday and you will be able to see for yourself how the cylinder look and of course how well the 20-39 performs.
As far as interferience goes, I had by 25-31 PCi right under my plasma for a brief period with no problems.

Originally posted by ridd
i was happy with my servo untill it died, with no intentions to upgrade. ........................... Any suggestions ?

Have you checked the internal fuse on your Servo 15?

Have you checked the internal fuse on your Servo 15?

The story is quite long but goes something like this.

The sub stopped working so checked plug fuse and droped the amp plate to check for an internal fuse. This had blown so i changed it and it promptly blew straight away.

I completely removed the amp plate and torridal and took them to work for the electronics guys to look at it. They told me what had blown but explained that manufactures buy parts in such bulk that they are often unmarked so you cant always match the specs. Also it was only 4 months old and id be better off taking it back under warrenty......

And i dropped it off at richer sounds. They told me they dont have any more left to exchange it for but they would try to get fixed. So i left mildly happy.

But when i rang to see if it was done they told me over the phone that it had been fixed but the couriers had dropped it. :mad:

I was informed it was working but had extensive cabinet damage and they offered me a refund or a tannoy sub15 as a replacement. The tannoy option wasnt one i wanted so i said id go look at it. On the way there i was thinking maybe i could get a refund less £100 and then fix/rebuild the cabinet.

When i arrived it looked like it had fallen out of the back of the lorry whilst it was still moving. every corner had been bashed in :(

Asked to hear it and guess what??? it was dead.
One refund later and im back here to look for a replacement.

Isnt life fun :)

Barrie, Have you actually heard any of those subs?

No, I'm going purely off spec with a little relation to the 25-31 PCi I had.
Ron at SVS told me a while ago than the PC+ was capable of a few extra spl over the PCi so I can relate to that performance. However, I am only speculating that the PB2 should perform better because on paper it has pretty impressive specs.
I was also informed by SVS that that the PB1-ISD is almost sonicly identical to the 25-31. So given that the specs of the PB2 Plus are significantly better than the PB1 ISD I am guessing this thing should be pretty awsome.
So I'm only making guesswork linked with my previous svs sub and what is written on paper. I could be completely wrong, so please don't take what I say as gospel.

Given that a single ultra driver costs more than 2 plus drivers you've got to be very careful making comparisons purely on specs.

Sorry, I'd missed the part considering the PC ultra. I was working off a comparison between a PC Plus and a PB1 Plus, with the latter obviously using the same time driver as the PC Plus but with two of them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom