Demo Feedback - Naim Uniti Atom/Lyngdorf TDAI 1120/Hegel H120

A system using a digital source with a TDAi3400 will sound cleaner and clearer than any alternative because far less is done to the signal than with any other combination of components.

Anyone is welcome to visit to put this to the test.

We also have a range of high-end Steinway Lyngdorf systems that use the same technology. These are the only systems I am aware of that can convince a musician they are listening to a live instrument.

Most people can hear the difference between these and any other systems in an instant.

.......but, if any of these systems are set up incorrectly, they wont give this performance......

This may or may not be relevant in this thread but ... "bovvered??". :)

Big shout out to Rob here as he was quick to make a demo available to me recently and I had the pleasure of being able to actually hear the Lyngdorf amps. Although my most likely target would be the 1120 (budget and all that) I did also get to hear a lot of the 3400. He took the time to set up RoomPerfect (as I took my speakers with me) and I had a chance to just have a listen. The nice thing for me is that the Lyngdorf's actually sounded like decent amps without RP - which is something that was reassuring to hear. It's not as if the amp is a dog that ** needs ** room correction in order to sound good. No, the amps were really quite tasty just as they are. However, RP does make a noticeable difference. I didn't have time this visit to hear the more exotic kit but at least I have now heard two main "integrated amps" that are the current offerings for myself.

Hi Mark

Thanks for your lovely feedback. I’m glad you found the visit useful.

If anyone is interested in how their speakers can sound with the room errors removed, please get in touch.

When you run RoomPerfect you will hear what your speakers are capable of, warts and all. I’ve noticed many speakers have obvious cabinet noise or port resonances. If you are shopping for speakers, picking them up to see how well constructed they are, is well worth doing.

A speaker or subwoofer cabinet should be as solid as possible and should create no noise when you wrap them with your knuckle. If you can feel any vibration in the cabinet or hear any resonance, this will colour your music.

You're welcome Rob. Genuinely loved it and very much appreciated the opportunity. As we often say on this forum, there is absolutely no substitute for being able to listen to something with your own ears. We are all unique - and it's not just the mechanics of our hearing but also our individual, personal preferences we have for the tone and quality of the sound we hear. And even if you find someone that appears to have the same tastes as you it's not a guarantee that you will have the same view or appreciation of a system. :)

OP here, finally got round to organising home demo. Got a TDAI 1120 arriving Friday alongside a Hegel H120 for comparison which I really liked when demo'd in store. Going to be driving a pair of Kef R3's. All loaned for a couple of weeks.

Will let you know how it goes... can't wait now!

OP here, finally got round to organising home demo. Got a TDAI 1120 arriving Friday alongside a Hegel H120 for comparison which I really liked when demo'd in store. Going to be driving a pair of Kef R3's. All loaned for a couple of weeks.

I hope you enjoy your home demo sessions. The Lyngdorf offers more features than the Hegel, so you should do comparisons of the Hegel features (DAC / integrated amp) vs the comparable features in the Lyngdorf, ie not the streamer or RoomPerfect in the Lyngdorf or you won't be comparing apples with applies.

For a better comparison with all the Lyngdorf 1120 features, you could consider an all-in-one from Naim (no room correction I believe), or the M10 from NAD (not the latest Class D technology), or the NAD C658 + C298 combination - probably the best comparison. All these are in similar price range. I'd suggest the much better M33 or the Micromega M100, but these are a significant price jump compared with the 1130 and are more comparable price-wise with the Lyngdorf 3400. Good luck.

I hope you enjoy your home demo sessions. The Lyngdorf offers more features than the Hegel, so you should do comparisons of the Hegel features (DAC / integrated amp) vs the comparable features in the Lyngdorf, ie not the streamer or RoomPerfect in the Lyngdorf or you won't be comparing apples with applies.

For a better comparison with all the Lyngdorf 1120 features, you could consider an all-in-one from Naim (no room correction I believe), or the M10 from NAD (not the latest Class D technology), or the NAD C658 + C298 combination - probably the best comparison. All these are in similar price range. I'd suggest the much better M33 or the Micromega M100, but these are a significant price jump compared with the 1130 and are more comparable price-wise with the Lyngdorf 3400. Good luck.
Thx for the feedback however not sure I'd agree with this approach. RP is a key selling point and feature of the 1120 so I want to hear how it compares to an amp which doesn't have any form of room correction. If I don't do that comparison I'm effecting demo'ing the Lyngdorf with one arm tied behind it's back. Ultimately I want to buy the product that sounds the best with the equipment/room I'm using so need to hear each product at it's best.

For sure Nad M10 is a contender at this price point and it's a product ideally I'd be able to get in over the next couple of weeks but easier said than done. M33 is a big step up in price and probably a stretch too far but would you consider the C658/C298 a better sounding combination than the M10? I'll take the hit on streaming features for a better sounding product as I can also stick a digione or something else in front as a streamer if needed later on.

Ridiculous.

One of the main selling points of a Lyngdorf is Room Perfect.

What on Earth is the point of auditioning an amp and not using one of its stand out features?

You seem to have your panties all bunched up with some old prejudice and semi-knowledge (being polite).

Really, I’ve seldom come across more nonsense in any given place; even on the internet...

Thx for the feedback however not sure I'd agree with this approach. RP is a key selling point and feature of the 1120 so I want to hear how it compares to an amp which doesn't have any form of room correction. If I don't do that comparison I'm effecting demo'ing the Lyngdorf with one arm tied behind it's back. Ultimately I want to buy the product that sounds the best with the equipment/room I'm using so need to hear each product at it's best.

For sure Nad M10 is a contender at this price point and it's a product ideally I'd be able to get in over the next couple of weeks but easier said than done. M33 is a big step up in price and probably a stretch too far but would you consider the C658/C298 a better sounding combination than the M10? I'll take the hit on streaming features for a better sounding product as I can also stick a digione or something else in front as a streamer if needed later on.
Hi Pfaz

Certainly if you think you need an amp with room correction you should be comparing the Lyngdorf with other amps that include RC – which the Hegel doesn’t. I mentioned a few. Even with just the Lyngdorf (or any other amp with RC) you can compare the sound it makes both with and without RC engaged.

What I'm saying is that comparing the Lyngdorf with RC engaged with the Hegel without RC is not comparing apples with apples. With the 2 amps you mention, if you want to know which is the better amp (as an amp), compare them on an even playing field ie with RC disengaged. Be suspicious if a dealer for Lyngdorf has suggested you take a Hegel as well to compare. He should be offering you 2 comparable amps (in terms of facilities) to compare one against the other.

Sorry Lyngdorf fanatics (who seem to have some biased grip over this particular forum), but a potential buyer should be encouraged to compare like with like. Do you not agree?

One of the main selling points of a Lyngdorf is Room Perfect.
What on Earth is the point of auditioning an amp and not using one of its stand out features?

All the more reason to compare with with other amps that include room correction. Do you not agree?
You seem to have your panties all bunched up with some old prejudice and semi-knowledge (being polite).

Really, I’ve seldom come across more nonsense in any given place; even on the internet...
Paul - you really a moron. Why do you have to resort to ignorance and rudeness in so many of your posts? It doesn't help anyone, least of all the OP. I am trying to help him - you are rubbishing anyone who dares to suggest that the Lyngdorf isn't the world's best amplifier and everything else is junk.

I’m going to test drive a newer merc tomorrow.

But before I do I’m going to disconnect the turbo as my old car doesn’t have one.

Got to be fair. :facepalm:

Be suspicious if a dealer for Lyngdorf has suggested you take a Hegel as well to compare. He should be offering you 2 comparable amps (in terms of facilities) to compare one against the other.
The dealer is really going with my direction so no foul play there. This is really about having a chance to listen to both in my room which is essential. It could be I'm not happy with either option or maybe I'll be blown away. Earlier comparisons made the Hegel my preferred but I never got a decent demo of the Lyngdorf (see earlier reported volume issue) so I ruled it out pending a home trial as it was always on my shortlist.

I wish I had the patience to listen to every product on the market between £2k-£3k and many would argue that what's I should do. Other highly regarded options would include everything from an ncore or purifi power amp plus streamer/dac/preamp to other all in ones such as the M10 plus a bunch of other lesser known (well to me anyway) products such the Moon Neo Ace and whole raft of products in between.

The dealer is really going with my direction so no foul play there. This is really about having a chance to listen to both in my room which is essential. It could be I'm not happy with either option or maybe I'll be blown away. Earlier comparisons made the Hegel my preferred but I never got a decent demo of the Lyngdorf (see earlier reported volume issue) so I ruled it out pending a home trial as it was always on my shortlist.

I wish I had the patience to listen to every product on the market between £2k-£3k and many would argue that what's I should do. Other highly regarded options would include everything from an ncore or purifi power amp plus streamer/dac/preamp to other all in ones such as the M10 plus a bunch of other lesser known (well to me anyway) products such the Moon Neo Ace and whole raft of products in between.

Indeed. If I could arrange it, I’d have had two dozen or more amps round here at the same time.

Sooner or later fatigue would certainly set in.

But until then... awesome fun!

would you consider the C658/C298 a better sounding combination than the M10?
Sorry pfaz, I omitted my response to this question. Yes, undoubtedly a much better sound. The C298 (power amp) uses arguable the best Class D amplification technology available right now (Purifi Eigentakt) and it's also a lot more powerful than the M10, which is particularly important if you have low efficiency speakers.

The C658 has much the same front end (DAC, preamp and DSP) as what goes into the much costlier M33. The M33 has a very nice full colour touch screen for music selection, settings adjustments etc and a fancy case, but apart from these niceties and a few extra features that you may well not need, the C combination seems to have very similar innards as the M33 and represents a real bargain in my view. I've not heard it - only read specs and reviews. A friend (money no object) has just bought the C658 to see how it sounds and he will be getting back to me soon. He also has the M33 and loves it, but may stick with the C658 because it offers him a choice of amp types and he's a bit of a Class A fan. Hope this helps.

I am sure you will have a great time. It is a real dilemma trying to find amps that you think you want to try and then be able to demo them. I was fortunate enough to be able to get a demo of a couple of Lyngdorf amps recently with my own speakers. Unfortunately I was only listening to the Lyngdorf's rather than comparing them to anything else but as my priority was just hearing them that wasn't such a big issue. To be honest, I would be doing a three way test with the two amps: Lyngdorf "as-is" (ie no RP) vs the Lyngdorf with RP - just to see the difference and whether you have a preference. Then I would be trying the Lyngdorf vs the Hegel and again, switch between RP on and off. Both are really decent amps so it will be a fascinating demo. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

I am sure you will have a great time. It is a real dilemma trying to find amps that you think you want to try and then be able to demo them.
Tell me about it. It would so be much easier if we could all just agree on what's best at various price points but where's the fun in that 😉

Tell me about it. It would so be much easier if we could all just agree on what's best at various price points but where's the fun in that 😉

If I wasn’t enamoured of RP by years of trial and error with four different room correction systems I’d liked to have tried the Hegel amps if only because of their fantastic damping factor.

If you find that RP is not your thing then the Hegel should certainly take top class control of your speakers.

If I wasn’t enamoured of RP by years of trial and error with four different room correction systems I’d liked to have tried the Hegel amps if only because of their fantastic damping factor.

If you find that RP is not your thing then the Hegel should certainly take top class control of your speakers.
thx @Paul7777x . I noticed from the mammoth Lyngdorf thread that you had some issues when first setting up RP and weren't completely sold at first. Any lessons learnt/tips you can share from your early experience to help get the best from it?

thx @Paul7777x . I noticed from the mammoth Lyngdorf thread that you had some issues when first setting up RP and weren't completely sold at first. Any lessons learnt/tips you can share from your early experience to help get the best from it?

Yes. It was an absolute pig of a conundrum for a while.

I was used to Dirac and ARC. Both of these fit a house curve; neither are flat but follow, more or less, the HK curve. Broadly.

That meant that my particular speakers benefited very much from that approach.

I was using Active Adam Audios, that had huge peaks in the bass. The left speaker was around 9-10 dB up centred at 60Hz and the right a couple of dB less, around 6dB up centred at around 80Hz.

That is quite huge, and more than enough to disrupt frequencies above that, overpowering them in fact. They still sounded first class (so I thought) especially for casual listening.

When I first used Dirac on them, it chopped down the peaks to a normal elevated response. I was quite anti impressed for about 40 to 50 listening hours because I was so used to the bass as was.

But, once my brain had grown accustomed to the lack of such bass mountains, and I became more aware of what was actually going on in the recordings I was hooked. Trying to go back to non corrected was pointless. It just didn’t work any more.

The extra realism, detail and much funkier bass had to stay.

RP does something different. It seems to change the speaker response much less in the fashion of fitting a curve.

When I first ran RP. I assumed I had made a mistake. The fat bass, or a lot of it, was back.

So I did half a dozen different runs. And the issue remained.

It wasn’t a fault as such, the sound was much improved over no correction. And the bass, whilst still to much for me, was obviously and immediately more detailed and realistic.

In the end, I measured the RP corrected response and found that the peaks I had previously had simply weren’t made as ‘small’ as Dirac and ARC made them. So, whilst being as tuneful as I’d ever heard, the peaks were still too high.

A little tweaking with the voicing made it better but not best. In my particular case, and with those particular speakers, in the end I moved them out from the rear wall, not what Lyngdorf generally recommend, but the difference after a couple of experiments was exactly what I was after, a response with a curve not unlike the Dirac produced (bass peaks tamed, but with the extra ‘realism’ (it’s the only word I can think of) that RP provides.

I have to stress that it is only with the Adams that this happened.

With my Trios, some older Q Acoustics (cheap floorstanding ones, first gen I think) a pair of B&W 601s and a hand built pair of floor standing Eikona speakers, it was plug in, calibrate, play and enjoy. No issues.

A long post... hope it helps.

Last edited:
Ps, following that messing about, the only real conclusion to draw was that Adam have built in a peak response to the Compact Classic (not unheard of) and that peak happened to unpleasantly overlap with the rooms contribution in their original positions, causing reinforcement where I least wanted it.

Kit all arrived today! 😁

Unfortunately with the Lyngdorf a key piece of the microphone stand is missing so RoomPerfect will need to wait until the weekend as it's being shipped. I've done some initial testing though using Tidal and Apple music using Airplay as I'm an iOS user. Is there a better way to stream Tidal directly or is Airplay the best/only way to go short of connecting a laptop directly?

Only other issue is that the dealer kindly shipped it with the h/w remote but for some reason it fails to control the amp. The remote led is lighting on keypress, it has new batteries and I've checked the settings and Remote Control is definitely enabled. Is there a pairing process I'm missing?

Looking forward to next couple of weeks and comparisons with the Hegel H120.

Only other issue is that the dealer kindly shipped it with the h/w remote but for some reason it fails to control the amp. The remote led is lighting on keypress, it has new batteries and I've checked the settings and Remote Control is definitely enabled. Is there a pairing process I'm missing?
Is there an amp/cd toggle on there for which device it controls. IIRC there was a single remote that controls both the amps and the CD player.

Is there an amp/cd toggle on there for which device it controls. IIRC there was a single remote that controls both the amps and the CD player.
It does look like it controls CD player as well but no obvious toggle button or it's under my nose and I cant see it. it's nbd anyway, I've got the app remote/browser working fine but cheers for the suggestion

It does look like it controls CD player as well but no obvious toggle button or it's under my nose and I cant see it. it's nbd anyway, I've got the app remote/browser working fine but cheers for the suggestion

In Set Up under General Set Up within the app, is the remote enabled?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom