1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demo DVD for DLP Rainbows?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jason_B, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've tried searching the forum for this but haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

I have seen a demo on an X1, and suffered rainbows really badly:( , I then saw an Infocus110(can't remember if SP or LP), and they were much better(almost gone completely:) ). I'm assuming this is because of the faster wheel, but don't really know :blush:.

My next demo will be the new Infocus5700, againt the older 110. What I would really like to know is what DVD is a good demo disk to test DLP, and especially the rainbow effect.

My current demo disk is Moulin Rouge, as I find the opening few scenes bad for demos, but was wondering if I could find a better disk.

I really like the picture that DLP produces, and would like to exhaust every avenue, before trying to find local dealers who can demo LCD(which I have little experience of)

Thanking you in advance

Jason

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Try Dare Devil, if you don't have an almighty migrain within 10 mins you'll probably be fine.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Apparently the bits with candles in from Gladiator show them quite well.

Gary.

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The indoor scenes in Ordelle's apartement from Jackie Brown where the sun's out caught an optoma I was demoing out for Rainbowing.

Candle Heavy Scenes in The Crow work quite well too.

5. senna

senna
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the garage burning scene in 28 days later.

Try a 62mm polarizing filter from Jessops though, I cannot use my Infocus X1 without this filter.

6. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Watched 'Intacto' last night which was a bit of a rainbow-fest - great movie though.

If you want a really quick indicator as to how bad a projectors rainbows are then get a THX disk and put up the Optimode video test screens for aspect..fine white lines on a black background. Try moving your eyes even slightly and if rainbows are there you should see them.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

7. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your reply's. It would appear that rainbows are move evident in movies where alot of CGI is used, or the scenes are being artificially darkened for effect. I'll try out some off the above when my local dealer has the Infocus5700 in stock and let you know the results.

Thanks again

Jason

8. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    let us know what you think of the 5700, i'm looking at buying one too.