1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demo dilemma

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Resonance, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I was all set on a Rel Stampede until I stumbled across this forum. The Rel is compact, has had great music reviews, good WAF, remote control, very flexible filtering etc...then I read about SVS. :confused:

Ohhh.

No remote (useful when switching DVD/music or genre), too big, but the spec :smashin:

I just love those cylinders - they really appeal and they seem to make sonic sense.

So I'll just go and have a demo....oh problem.

If there was just one version, maybe I'd just take the plunge, but there aren't, there are i's +'s & ultras and different size bins.

If there is a kind soul out there in the Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire area who is willing to help out a future SVS fan with a quick demo, please let me know. (Hope this doesn't contravene any forum rules)

Thanks
    Ian.

PS Can those cylinders be used on their side - might be easy to hide it behind a sofa until it is accepted to what it delivers? :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You are more than welcome to hear mine in Tamworth, Staffs if that isn't too far.

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The cylinders do work well on their sides.
    I heard this from the SVS designer Tom V himself.
    The Rels are well thought of in polite stereo music circles where subtle underpinning is the key.
    The SVSs are greatly admired in AV/HT circles where you want it to sound as if the house is falling on your head.
    They just happen to do music rather well too.
    But I'm biased. Just ask anybody here. :p

Nimby

4. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    He is :D

So am I :D

But then again we're just happy and fortunate souls who own SVS subwoofers :clap:

5. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cylinders are nice.. But the best price/quality ratio belongs to PB10. Any way you go, you'll be happy.

6. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im the same and so am i :D

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Me to :blush:

The only problem with the PB10 (and the box subs) is the general SIZE and
    Major lack of WAF

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I would also say to still demo the subs you had in mind, you may not like the SVS sound.

See if you can swing a demo of the Quad L subwoofer, and MJ Acoustics Reference 200. Higher up the price range you have fantastic subs like the B&W ASW750 too. High end subwoofers sound very different to budget subwoofers, and the best way to realise this is to listen to a range of them.

9. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    [where's my 'quote' button gone ? :confused: ]

Thanks for the offer Ian J. I don't often get to your part of the world, but as my wife's sister lives a few miles from you I may just suggest a visit. Is a forum 'private message' a good way see if have some time spare?

I think the first step is to try a home demo of a Rel as a reference. Nice blue light!

The PB10 looked cute, but it I like big speakers. My current 'full range' TDLs are the same height as a 39" SVS and give an very dynamic sound. I've also got some Wharfedale stand-mount that give a very smooth sound but somehow lack the excitment.

A recent trip to my local Hifi shop allowed my to try Canton (I'd never heard of them). These seemed to produce 1 deepish note quite well - but only one note. That's not music and they didn't work for AV too well either.

Hence my intrigue in SVS when I saw those flat frequency responses :thumbsup:

Ian.