1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demand for return of OnNet boxes

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Scrungeworts, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Scrungeworts

Scrungeworts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On Wednesday 23 April I received a letter headed "OnMail" dated 16 April from a Kit Brinkley,OnMail Sales Manager,stating that "Elppa Marketing"have acquired the rights to ITV-digital Internet services and related assets including the OnNet boxes held by subscribers.

The letter went on to say that there are 3 options:-

1)Pay £29 to keep the equipment and use OnNet

2)Pay £29 to discharge liability for the equipment

3)Return the box and all accessories and cables to Elppa

According to the letter a written response selecting one of these options is required within "14 days from the date of this letter" to avoid legal action.

I obtained the OnNet box etc as part of a PrePaid Ondigital setup,and as I now have broadband internet and SkyDigital TV I certainly have no interest in keeping this gear,so it's Option 3 for me.
    However,I have no intention of paying to return equipment which I have not wanted for at least 2 years and which I should have binned a long time ago.Indeed I should be entitled to make a charge for the safekeeping of this stuff for so long!!!
    My feeling is that Elppa should arrange to collect it at a time that suits me if they want it,and I don't see why I should rush to respond to a letter which didn't reach me until 7 days after it was written.
    I wonder if anyone else has received this type of letter recently,and whether anyone has any thoughts,comments,suggestions???

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    As far as i know, Carlton & Granada purchased all of these boxes on behalf of their ex-customers and gave them to them. See this story over at Digital Spy for more.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would simply ignore it.

1. If it wasn't signed for, you never received it.
    2. No way are these idiots going to take anyone to court for £29.
    3. You appear to own the box.

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Could be a con.

Junk mail sent out to thousands of people: either send us money or box, even if we have no right to either.

They'd be bound to get a certain amount of money or boxes, that they could sell on.

You would be suprised, not two weeks ago one of my friends had a summons for a late payment fine to Blockbusters that was for less than £5. Must've cost Blockbusters way more than that in legal fees, he paid them over the phone with debit card; as he always had had every intention of paying it, but just the next time he rented something. And he's had no problems renting DVDs since. Some companies are idiotic and it's no wonder they lose money hand-over-fist.

StooMonster

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, given that article mentioned, I'd most certainly think this is a mail-order con. Try doing a Google search on the name of the company to see if you get any forum results. I'm sure there are consumer organizations you could contact as well, just to be sure that they are legit. (not sure of the contact info, though)

6. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Scrungeworts,

Let us all know if you do get any more info or comeback. If they are still chaseing for the boxes or money, I'd like to try and get my £ 50 deposit back. Having said that, they can have their box back. The new boxes are far better.

Somehow I can't see me ever getting the money back!

Not that I'm bitter.

Miles.

7. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like a mail scam to me, dont send them anything.