1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demagnitize Television...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MikoSad, Jan 4, 2004.

1. MikoSad

MikoSad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iv noticed some colour impurity on my new television (PD30).

Is it possible to use an oldschool magnetic tape demagnitizer to try to demagnitize my television?! Or should I leave it be?!

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    A tape recorder demagnetiser won't be man enough for the job.

The relevant tool for a TV is a "Degaussing Wand".
    I believe CPC sell them for 30-40 quid.
    They sometimes appear on Ebay too.

However, your TV will have a built in degaussing circuit.
    It only operates when the TV is switched on from the mains.
    So : leave TV with mains plug removed for an hour or more (so that it is totally cool internally). Then plug back in & operate TV's mains on/off switch.
    You should hear a "thud" whiilst it operates.

Also, ensure all metal (especially ferrous) objects are a few feet away from the TV as this could be causing any impurity errors.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MikoSad,

Welcome to the PD30 colour-(im)purity club :D :devil:

You don't say if it's a 32" or 36" - but I'd guess it's a 36"?

My 36PD30 has colour purity problems in the bottom corners - and so have at least 2 others I've seen. The colour patches can be moved around a bit by changing the sub-geomagnetic correction value in the service menu - but they won't go away!

I don't want to be a prophet of doom, but I doubt if even a commercial degaussing gun will fix your problems. I borrowed a commercial degaussing gun and degaussed the b*ggery out of my set - to no avail! Sure, I managed to kid myself that it looked a bit better for a few minutes - but I was mistaken :(

This seems to be a fairly common problem with these sets..... do you have "dirty patches" on your screen too?

If you're unwilling to live with this then contact your retailer ASAP and demand a replacement set. Some people claim to have "perfect" PD30s - so you might get a good-un... :rolleyes: