Dem today - DVI vs analogue (Denon 1910 vs Tosh 340)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Having a projector with DVI and HD capability, I've been thinking since I bought it about replacing my ageing Pioneer DVD player with a newer unit that can take advantage of DVI.
    So today, I had a brief dem, thought you chaps might like to see the results:

Dem 1. Tosh 340 DVD. I've home dem'd a Tosh DVD player, and know that they're very similar in capability to my existing Pioneer unit. So the Tosh was chosen as a baseline for the test which was run through a Yamaha HD capable Plasma. For the test, the scart output was used.

Dem 2. Denon 1910. This is a £180 DVD player (multi-region is extra) and has DVI output with upsampling to the native resolution of my projector.
    Yes there were improvements, but they really weren't massive. IMO, they weren't enough to justify the cost difference

Dem 3. Denon 2910. This is a £500 DVD player with very similar specs to the 1910, so on paper it's not easy to justify the difference in cost.
    In practice the differences were seriously big. On Gladiator (opening battle sequence), the 2910 added a lot of depth to the movie, along with much improved colour rendition.
    IMO, this really is worth the cost difference, certainly so on the 1910.

Unfortunately I don't have £500, mainly because I'd expected the 1910 to be nearly as good, and was only expecting to end up paying £200.

So, another classic learning exercise in showing that a good dem is far more valuable than on paper specs.

2. AndyR

AndyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good post - I was wondering about that. I posted a question somewhere else that once you move to DVI/HDMI then there shouldnt be much difference, so its interesting to know that there is a real world difference. I guess on a projector it would be even more apparent.

3. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can I just add that there is a significant improvement when connecting the Tosh via Components - I recently tested a 240e against a a 5 year old Sony (which cost £500 at the time, the Sony DVP-S725D).

When testing the 240e there was a vast improvement via the component ins outputting progressive over scart rgb, so much so that it 'won' over the £500 Sony (the 240e was £49 brand new from tesco!).

Did you happen to test the pio 575 whilst u were there against the 340??

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Interesting review,cheers.

Where did you demo?

So if you had 500 squids you would have gone for the denon?

5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    The dem was at Sevenoaks, and very nice they were too.

As it happens, following more investigation yesterday, I purchased a 575a and connected it up using component and progressive scan to my AE500.
    Frankly the PQ seems awesome. I don't know whether it could compare to the Denon, but I wouldn't be surprised.