1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delta Force - Black Hawk Down......What A Let Down

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Apocalypse, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not for the reasons you may think though.

The graphics and sound are definitely the best of the series with incredibly lifelike gun sounds, wait till you hear the electric minigun on the chopper :eek:

The dissapointment for me lies in 3 areas :

1, The strengths of the Delta Force series of games for me was always the tactical element, you had the option of what weapons to use, what route you take to the objective, how you execute the objective (ie stealthy or sheer brute force) etc. Well in BHD every mission bar one I think is brute force, choose a sniper and you'll regret it as it's mostly close quarters battle so for me it dumbs down the game to the likes of Quake and Unreal Tournament.

2, In Multiplayer mode there is no Cooperative mode, of all the online games associated with the Delta Force series of games the one that made it for me was the coop mode, teaming up and working as a unit was fantastic, with the addition of field medics in part 3 of the series the team play was even more important.

3, Now you take on each mission (except the last one) with a team of cpu controlled characters, they only serve tohinder your progress because if too many of them die but you are still ok the level ends and you have to start again. In theory the designers probably want you to become a better team leader but in practise you don't give two hoots about their safety as it's only a sodding game :devil:

If you like sheer action and shooting non-stop then the game is good fun and if you are into deathmatches I bet the numerous weapons on offer will also be fun but if you're into games like Rainbow 6 or Splinter Cell and expect the same here you can forget it. I'd liken the game to SWAT III more than Delta Force if I hadn't seen the box :rolleyes:

2. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    I will pass on it then,i have all the delta force games and being a sniper was a big part of the fun for me,maybe i am sick,i will stick to cham manager 4 then,maybe get indiana jones???????

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I haven't played much of the single player mode yet , but, have quite enjoyed the multiplayer side.
    I've tried death match , capture the flag and king of the hill on various servers. The gameplay was smooth and v competative and for those that enjoy co-op play was found to be excellent.
    Apocalypse I'd give the multiplayer a chance to get established and give it another go. Worked as a team on koth and team dm. Thought the experiance points awarded was good. I got beaten by someone who gutted me with a nife while sniping people out in the wilderness - nice touch
    I thought the sound effects were very competent have you enabled 5.1 in the sound options ? what sound card do you have since the weapons sound fine on my digifire.

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the SB Audigy but I only have a 2.1 system. I will give the multiplayer game a go at the weekend.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I have the benefit of a home cinema set up in my lounge so I have seven speakers (including a subwoofer) to envelope me in sound. Your SB Audigy supports 5.1 why not take the plunge and benefit from the quality of sound this gives you- go on you know you want to.

see you in multiplayer( my ID priv8pile)- we'll kick some gook butt.

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have the Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 PC speaker system, I got sick of the rear speakers being in the way so i got rid of them and opted for a 2.1 system.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    get yourself a cheap av amp or one of the surround packages overclockers offer. I got sick of my cambridge audio 4.1 system as well. This time why not get some longer speaker cable and wall mount them?- just a suggestion- you'll be able to use your sound card to it's full potential then:devil:

8. Puz

Puz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've played this a little @ single player and sniper wise, not as good as the first 3/4 DF games. What I do like about is definitely the multiplayer game. Team King of the Hill is loads of fun.. Funniest thing I seen recently on a big game, was when a Black Hawk took off 2 circle the map (They do this when people board it) and within seconds I must have seen 10 rocket attacks from all over the map on the poor soul who got into it. I was sniping (naturally) on a a tall roof somewhere and witnessed one hell of an explosion..

Give the MP a try, it may even change your perception on the game..:D

9. Skyline.GTR

Skyline.GTR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Defo big difference from Landwarrior and TaskForceDagger and I agree with Apocalypse apart from the snipin aspect in BHD . You can snipe in all the maps . You just need to know the spots . ;) . In fact snipin is alot easier for the wind aspect and to an extent the bullet trajectories are less realistic and hence easier .

Give the game a chance and it will shine through in multiplayer .

I used to play TFD but now only play BHD .

I know not what it is like in single player for I have not played it but it's awesome in multiplayer .

I am in a squad called <AM> and I often have a server up called AM Open UK . Feel free to join in and say hi . My tag is Nightmare<AM> .

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Get your boots on I'm coming in.......priv8pile

11. Skyline.GTR

Skyline.GTR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Novaworld down at the mo >>>>>>>>>:mad:

12. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    r u up for a game now?

I'll look out for u.

R all the stats just on novaworld servers?

13. MAXPING

MAXPING

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My only gripe is the maps are way too big and if you get into a online game with 6 players its about as much fun as watching paint dry:thumbsdow

14. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    if you keep moving instead of camping it seems to flow a lot better. Can't abide ppl who just pick a spot and bed down for the night. Ok snipe in sniper maps but I think they should give it a rest in some of the maps at least.
    Also snipers always seem to camp out near spawn sights for easy pickings - not fair imo.

see u on the battlefield

priv8pile out:smoke:

15. MAXPING

MAXPING

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gonna host my own game when i get adsl soon i hope ! I will call it something with " NO SNIPERS " in the title and i will disable all sniper rifles e.t.c. in the options.
    I have read on many forums how peeps are generally pleased with the game but how snipers ruin it.
    Thay wont ruin my game !
    Keep a eye out for it M8 .

16. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Just to add my penneth, i really liked this game - couldnt put it down till i'd finished the single-player game. Maybe because i havent played any of the previous ones, i didnt have preference how i wanted this one to be.

Never played a game so depicting of street-to-street fighting (except maybe MOHAA, but no civilians to avoid in that).

17. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    only played first level- been too busy playing online. I find it great fun. Never really got on with the likes of ut2003 and have found this game a lot more rewarding. Broad band obviously helps but i have never been drawn in enough to persevere with the multiplayer side of gaming till this came along.:smashin:

18. MAXPING

MAXPING

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here i have 1 mission to go then i am gonna be sick as a dog as i have no broadband for a few weeks ( need 85 regs to get exchange enabled ) so i will be online on dialup and may as well call myself E Z TARGET :D

19. gameanoid

gameanoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only reason to get that sort of game is to play online but if there is no COOP on there, there is no point in getting that game. I play Counter-Strike and that is much better than all of the DF games put together, there is just 1 problem with it, when you die you come back to life in the next round instaed of resprawning as soon as you die. :lesson:

20. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I've noticed coop games in play on the list of available games but never joined in. Might have to give it a go next time.:devil:

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Haven't played this game online (I only really play TFC/Counterstrike online these days) but I really enjoyed the single player game. Thought it was a good game although the AI of the teammates was a little poor. Nothing like limited saves to get the heart rate going. Are the other Delta Force games worth looking at?

22. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Give the online multiplayer a go. No suspect AI there M8 just gritty balls to the wall action.

Whats day of Defeat all about just downloadin now- had to install me old half life + patches 1st though. Will give it a go later.

ps. my tag is priv8pile(UK) in novaworld - I'll be the one with your entrails hanging of my knife!!!

23. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    i'm addicted to the online multiplayer,cant stop playing,love it.

24. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Did I hear correctly that there is a expansion pack coming out for Black Hawk Down?

25. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
  26. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    i'm welshade.......only play in the dm,s

27. mattruston

mattruston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've noticed that delta force sequels and rainbox six sequels seem to be converging, raven shield and bhd look and play IMO almost the same
    and then theres ghost recon....

dont get me wrong i love all the games, its just imagination seems waning