1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DELPHI DD42E Plasma Monitor

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bobo360m, Dec 22, 2003.

1. bobo360m

bobo360m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone own 1 of these plasma screens?
    If so, how have you connected all of your AV to it.

2. stephenriley

stephenriley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DD42E but seem to be having the same problems as you. I have tried a scart sync separator but could only get an odd sized picture via the VGA input. The RGB input ( 9 pin D plug) wouldn't work. I bought the same YUV separator as you but still get nothing. I am wondering if there is a fault with the plasma screen. The only input I can get to work is the composite video using the monitor or aux buttons on the remote and not the TV button as the instuctions state I can't access the full set of on-screen menus using this input ( I know they work because I could access them when I had the VGA input working. Let me know how you get on. I am thinking of getting delphi out to look at mine unless anyone else has any ideas?

3. bobo360m

bobo360m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck in trying to get hold of Delphi!!! I've got mine up and running but the picture is ****e. I'll be on line about 6.30 when I'm not so busy.

4. bobo360m

bobo360m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest, where did you buy the screen?

Delphi don't exist anymore. If you have the warranty with BITS in Reading, well you dont. They didn't get paid by Delphi to be service agents of theirs.

I've searched hi & lo for a company. The other company who have the service contract are MULTIVISION, but yet again Delphi didn't pay them either.

I spoke to a chap(I have his mobile number,if you want it) who help design the screens for the BBC.
    The only input working correctly is the video input. The YUV is only used for broadcasting purposes.Dont even bother with the RGB 9-pole.
    S-Video only comes through in B&W.

I spent about £400 on different devices,cables,connectors etc but the only way I've done mine is as follows:-

Quintro + box with all AV connected to this, as it allows 5 pieces of equipment to be fed into one input.Scart everything you want connected into the Quintro box and then scart out to BNC on the VIdeo Input.

The picture quality is poor with Sky, but OK with DVD's. You can connect your video if you want to, but you'll soon get rid of it when you see the picture quality.

The only picture adjustments I have are just like a TV's.The one's list in the manual are for the other inputs.

Let me know how you've done yours and what the picture quality is like.

Scott.

5. stephenriley

stephenriley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not very encouraging! I bought mine from a guy on e-bay from the Oldham area who said he had bought 10 as an 'over run' from what you say it sounds more like redundant stock!. Not much point in me phoning BITS Audio Visual then. I am using the composite video input together with a scart switching box. I'll let you know if I have any further luck with any of the other inputs.

6. stephenriley

stephenriley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picture quality is s***e with video, better with Telewest Digital Cable and best with DVD.

7. bobo360m

bobo360m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine on e-bay as well.Auction house in Coventry. All liquidation stock.

If you find anything out e-mail me direct

scottlyons1@btinternet.com

8. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone get any further with this? I have the dd42e as well - but have lost the instructions (I 'inherited' the plasma).

I get the rolling black screen with Svid and have only made the composite input work so far.

Is vhs really that bad on it? I've only tried DVD and a bit of Sky so far

Ian

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Has anyone tried hooking a PC up to one these? or a ProV+ or similar basic scaler ???

10. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hooked my notebook up to it when I first installed it. from memory the picture was OK, but not great. I'll try it again

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Whats the res is it SD 852x480?

12. mitip

mitip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    somebody must know something about this screen, it was £15k from Harrods once! I bought direct from Andrew Promdoro who I think owned the company. I should have seen the writing on the wall 2 years ago. Anyway I traced a BBC engineer Richard Stephens today and am trying to speak to him. I would glady invest for someone to spend time to sort this screen out, I want to use YUV and the SDI inputs etc. Sometimes qulaity is excellent. It must be possible to debug the input problem?? Surely?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there will be dealers who know what they are doing with this ( a scaler ) is probably the way to go if you can utilise the VGA input....

14. stephenriley

stephenriley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I connected my laptop to the 15 pin VGA input and got a brilliant picture! Lord of the rings looked fantastic but the sound wasn't great from the laptop speakers! The spec in the handbook says that the screen will handle horizontal frequencies of between 15 and 94 kHz so I bought a scart/vga syncblaster cable from Keene. I get a picture but the quality is worse than composite.
    I'm now thinking of trying a 'Presenter 1' scart/RGB -XGA converter from Lektropacks. Anyone have any thoughts on this or had any luck with any of the other inputs.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  16. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to make my s-vid port work and now use that via video switching on the amp. Embarassingly, the only reason it didn't work to begin with was beacause I had the settings wrong on my DVD player.

I have to say that the PQ is very good normally barring the possible problem I have posted in the DVD forum.

Has anyone properly calibrated theirs yet, I'm still tweaking to try and get the brightness and contrast correct as some movies tend to be too dark. My wife thinks the picture is great, but I'm being fussy.

17. stephenriley

stephenriley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: After owning this screen for a year I have finally cracked it! I took Hornydragon's advice and managed to buy an iScan Ultra on ebay. At the moment I have my Telewest Digibox/VCR on the composite input, Humax terrestrial Digital on the S-Video and my Eltax DVD on the YUV input. This piece of kit even makes VHS video watchable! The only other addition I may try is a JS Technology RGB - YUV converter on the Telewest Digibox; I had one but it didn't work when I tried inputting directly to the yuv inputs on the screen so I sold it! The only slight drawback is that the brightness has to be set quite high on the composite and s-video inputs; the iScan Ultra allows you to store presets for brightness etc for each different input so this is not too much of a problem. Good luck to anyone else who is still trying!

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    :clap: :smashin: :clap:
    Iknow this is going to sound silly but now you have seen the benefits of a scaler consider one with RGBS inputs LumagenDVI (£800) and Iscan HD (£900) have these..... FEED RGB direct toscaler(no extra converter) Would have suggested it but £8-900is a risk if it dont work......

19. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a scaler so that I can use the component switching on my amp and then use the VGA port on the screen - hopefully I'll get the same results as you Stephen.

Ian

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Can we have an update please chaps got those delphis running smoothly?
    anyone know anything of the original poster? Did he sort it?

21. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got mine running very nicely now, I bought two cheap interlacer/scalers a Briteview and an Iscan Pro to fiddle with.

So far the most consitent picture is via the Briteview direct to VGA, using component output. The RGB setting was almost as good. Using a direct component connection is also very good.

Strangely the Iscan reduced the brightness but had a better contrast spread, but the brightness was too low to be watchable - increasing it to max created 'halos' - it worked fine connected to my LCD monitor, so it is probably a compatibility issue.

The only issues I have now are occasional frame dropiing effect on both Sky and DVD, it is much worse on sky. and solarisation is still noticeable, I'm sure I could improve this with a more capable scaler or investing in a DVD player with 12bit or better DACs.

Seeing as the screen cost me the price of a gas cooker (don't ask), I am very happy, now if only I could make the fan quieter it would stop my upgraditis for at least 6 months.

Thanks for all the ideas and advice to date.

Ian

22. vgmf

vgmf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DD42e and I feed mine a svhs signal from a Denon 3801. I use the Denon as the switching centre for all my Av kit and then I have just a single SVHS cable from the Denon to the screen.
    The reason for doing this in this way is that if you use the svhs connection or the SDI connection [ if you had , not all version did ] there is an onboard video upscaler which kicks in. This does not work on any of the other connections.

Before I had a svhs video I had a duel feed of svhs [ from the denon] and a standard composite feed from the Denon as well for my composite vcr. When I switched the Denon to show the normal composite vcr output I also had to toggle the screen to show a composite picture, and then back when I had finished. If you did not do this you had sound but no picture.

I have had a problem where by on a random basis my panasonic svhs vcr remote will inadvertantly switched the screen from shvs fromat to composite [ when it does this it should display the format on the screen temporarily ]

I have copies of both the original Delphi DD42 handbook and the later DD42e suppliment if any body needs them. I can be reached via VGMF@btinternet.com .

I am looking to get hold of a new remote as mine has died and I have only some function saved on my All in One. If anybody has a remote for sale or is willing to lend me one for a day so I can copy the commands I would be very grateful.