Dell XPS420 PSU Upgrade Advice

barachello2000

Standard Member
Reaction score
I would like to upgrade the GPU in my pc, but to do this I think I will need to upgrade the stock 375w PSU.

Being a Dell, this isn't straight forward as the cables need to be extra long, and also the shape isnt universal.

Is there anyone out there that has the same system and has upgraded, or can offer advice on which one to get.

Not looking to spend too much as I want to get a GPU as all.

375W isn't that weedy, and could well support a £100 GPU (e.g. Radeon 7770) if the rest of the system isn't particularly demanding.

I can't offer any dell-specific experience but the XPS 420 isn't a particularly big case at 45cmx45cmx19cm so unless you need a particularly tortuous routing for the cables I don't think length will be an issue. Dell also tend to use standard parts for their larger systems these days, so are you sure it's not simply a normal ATX power supply?

I am going purely on what I have read to be honest.

The card I have been offered is a factory overclocked gtx460 and I would hate to buy it if the psu can't handle it.

Yeah, the GTX 460 was originally a £200 card and has power consumption to match, it'll draw 200W on it's own, so it would be fairly marginal if you've got something like an quad core i5/i7 in there.

Dell don't seem to post power supply form factors but if you get the measurements of the power supply and a photo of it's mounting screws it should be easy to identify whether it's ATX. Measurements should be 150 mm × 86 mm (x 140mm) and two of the mounting holes should be at the corners with the other two offset along the side slightly.

According to tech specs there is a larger PSU available - 425W however getting hold of one maybe difficult other than buying new from Dell.
Dell XPS 420 Desktop | Dell

It is a quad core system, but pre i5/i7.

I had thought about the 425w psu but did not think there would be much benefit from spending the money on a 50w increase?

Don't underestimate a Dell 375W PSU, should be good for a 7850 at tleast

I had heard that lol

Dell don't boast about the power of their psu's.

Still, just want to be on the safe side

Right

Have just bought an Antec 620w HCG PSU.

I have fitted it and the pc will not boot any longer ?

When I press the on button, the screen remains black, with just a flashing icon in the top left hand corner. No beeps, splash screen or anything.

All fans are running, HDD's appear to Be spinning, as does the graphics card fan.

I have tried re-fitting the original psu, and everything is exactly the same?

Can anyone help?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom