Dell XPS13 9350 - Charging issue

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
My Dell XPS13 9350 has a charging issue. It will stop charging when it reaches about 49 - 50%. I have already looked for possible solutions on the web and have already done as many meaningful "fixes" as I can find with no effect.

1: The charger is recognised in the BIOS as valid (it is). It happily charges from empty to say 49% without issue so I don't suspect the charger nor the connection inside the laptop nor any other hardware.
2: The BIOS, OS and battery driver are all up to date - but I have uninstalled and reinstalled them anyway.
3: I have recalibrated the battery by fully discharging it in use and recharging several times
4: I have tried a hard reset - disconnect power and battery and hold the power button for 40 seconds. Also disconnect power and battery and leave it overnight.
5: One solution (at Dell's own site) suggests amending a certain date in the BIOS. The suggested page isn't present in the current BIOS.
6: Command line battery health report gives good health and a full charge capacity of 43-odd Wh (vs. design capacity 57-odd); so about 75% of original value which would be expected. The thing will run on battery only for a bit over 2 hours playing a movie from a reported ~50% charge (the point at which it refuses to charge more) which is I'd estimate about right for 50% of 43-odd Wh so I believe the reported % is about right i.e. this is not a calibration error anyway.
7: Left it plugged in overnight turned on; left it plugged in overnight turned off.
8: Tried changing battery charging settings; tried them all; rapid, custom (start at or below 80%, end 100%), adaptive, etc. both in the Dell management tool AND in the BIOS.
9: Run in safe mode. Indicator light out meaning not charging.

Any OTHER ideas?

Game over man, game over!

I don't know if this related to the same problem you have, but I have a 9360, and it barely holds a charge anymore - maybe max 10 to 15 minutes on idle load, even if it is 100% charged.

I've just put it down to usual wearing out of the battery which is inevitable. I assume yours is even older than mine.

If you don't manage to resolve it and are interested in replacing the battery yourself, I've done a little research and you'll need:

* A special screw driver called a TORX T5 to open up the back.

* Dell XPS 9350 compatible battery. You can find these pretty easily on eBay. Also double check the battery model number.

* There are some YouTube guides specifically on how to open it up and replace the battery. You can follow along, its pretty easy.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Noted, but all the indications are - to me at least (unless I'm missing something more subtle) - that it's not the battery itself since, as I say, I believe the state of charge (~50%) is indeed about 50% of what the report says is its current working capacity. And its reported by Dells own app to be healthy:

1605787980974.png

I don't want to go to the expense of replacing it if it's not the actual problem.

Yea, you're probably right...

I recently installed an app called HWMonitor, it gives you a little info about the battery. Although it may just be the same thing as Windows or Dell is showing. Not sure if you want to take a look.

No other ideas from me. Good luck, Hudson.

hwmon.png

Attachments

• 1605789898593.png
    1605789898593.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 17

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much the same info as provided by the Command Prompt>powercfg /batteryreport tool.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. And I have - back to previous and again back to a version about 18 months old (well before this began). Guess what?
a) it doesn't reveal an ownership date entry field so I still can't apply that Dell proposed solution. Not that I'm convinced about it anyway but I'd have given it a go.
b) no effect on the prematurely stopped charging.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty certain it's not the OS since leaving it off has no effect.
Not Linux here - but there is a windows (DOS-like) command that reports in pretty much the same way. And it shows as in first post item 6.

Sensor circuit? Maybe - but it seems to report accurately, based on how long it will run (from a 50% SOC) compared to the last time I used it for InFlight Entertainment, when it ran for around twice as long.

And given the battery health output, it seems to be at around 75% of new, which is expected, I guess. So as far as I can tell (again, based on use), I'm genuinely getting around half of 75%.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Having given up trying cheaper alternatives, I did get a lookalike replacement battery and the problem is solved, it seems. Thanks for the input.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom