• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dell XPS M1530 - Screen question

Zebsy

Established Member
Hi,

Thinking about getting one of these laptops, but I just saw the video here (about halfway down) and the screen looks incredibly reflective.
Anyone got one of these and can tell me if its as bad as it looks?

Also, is it worth notching the screen res up by one for £30?

Cheers,

Zebs

planetse

Established Member
I personally would not purchase a notebook that did not have a true life/glossy screen. True life gives much richer and vibrant over the old mat ones, and looks so much better. Those pictures and video or not really representative of the screen in use.
All my Dells have true life screens, two with WXGA+ 1440x900,

Notching the screen speck by one is imperative in my view with a laptop of this calibre, wife had the XPS 1530 with the 1440x900 until this weekend, now that’s replaced with a Samsung NC10 (and still got £320 left over from the sale).

I am reading this on my 17” WUXGA 1920x1200 TrueLife XPS M1730.

£30 well spent if you go for the 1440x900 screen. Pricy for the 1920x1200 one.

Alphathon

Established Member
I have one of these and so does my brother.

First of all, the screen is indeed quite reflective, but when you're using it you don't notice it unless you're like right next to a window or something, in which case you wouldn't be able to see anything on a matte screen either. It also improves the vibrancy and the clarity no end.

Now for the resolution thing. I have the 1280x800 one in mine, and my bro has the 1440x900 one, and I can tell you it is definitelly worth it. Not so much for the resolution (although it is probably worth the upgrade just for that) but because the viewing angle on the 1440x900 panel is far superior

Zebsy

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I feel better about the screen now.
I'm looking at the Studio 17 now as its cheaper, but I believe it has the same/similar screen.

Cheers,

Zebs

Zebsy

Established Member
I was looking at a cheap ish M1530 but it has the 1920x1200 screen.
Is this overkill for this laptop?
Do you think it would scale OK back to the lower resolutions? e.g. for games
I havent much experience with laptop screens and scaling so any advice would be very welcome.

TIA,

Zebs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom