dell XPS M1530 problem

83Gaga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I been using this laptop (Dell XPS M1530) for over 4 years now since new.

As I was on the net all the sudden the screen went blank on me but the backlight still on just blank screen.

First I thought my laptop pack up. But when I plug in HDMI cable to the TV and start it up again - once it got to Window login screen and there is display the TV screen but nothing on the laptop part from backlight is on. You have to connect the HDMI cable and wait for Win login screen to get anything on the TV - so this mean I can't do anything on boot up like loading bios up.

It seem to me the fault is the screen broke (if I'm right) so is this mean I need a new LCD screen somehow? If so how difficult this job is? (shame my cover end last year)

I was thinking of getting monitor for it but if I can't see anything from the start up then I got to get LCD replacement first. So should I risk finding new LCD replacement and hope it works or should I try something out first?

Thanks

You have infact answered your own question.
Your laptop is still working OK as you get output on the TV once it has started the OS.
A second way to confirm this would be to connect to an external monitor using the VGA port.

Seeing as the backlight is on it would suggest 2 things -

1. Cable to screen is broken OR
2. Inverter board has gone.

These are both cheap items to replace all it requires is a bit of time to do.
A full second hand screen ensemble would set you back anything from £50 upwards on Ebay if you don't want to do the replacement work.

If the inverter board had gone then there would be no backlight as thats what the inverter is for. If you have backlight and no display there is a slight chance it could be your cable that connects to the screen but normally these get damaged and upon moving the screen in a open and close motion you should get some flickering of image. If not this its your screen as the graphics chip or chipset is outputting to a external display which rules that out.

Its fairly easy to do just takes time. And make sure when fitting the new screen there is no power to the laptop and the battery is removed.

Sorry for late reply. And thank for quick reply.

You have infact answered your own question.
Your laptop is still working OK as you get output on the TV once it has started the OS.
A second way to confirm this would be to connect to an external monitor using the VGA port.

Having already connect to HDMI port - is there any reason to try VGA port instead??

If the inverter board had gone then there would be no backlight as thats what the inverter is for. If you have backlight and no display there is a slight chance it could be your cable that connects to the screen but normally these get damaged and upon moving the screen in a open and close motion you should get some flickering of image. If not this its your screen as the graphics chip or chipset is outputting to a external display which rules that out.

Its fairly easy to do just takes time. And make sure when fitting the new screen there is no power to the laptop and the battery is removed.

I'm not sure if the screen is a fault now becasue last sunday the screen came back alive again - well when it want to but it working today at the moment.

So I getting lost what to do. If it happen again then maybe I check the cable - if this don't make any different maybe it the inverter as screen came alive again at the moment.

Search the web for M1530 NVIDIA fault and I think you'll find your answer

Sorry for late reply. And thank for quick reply.

Having already connect to HDMI port - is there any reason to try VGA port instead??

I'm not sure if the screen is a fault now becasue last sunday the screen came back alive again - well when it want to but it working today at the moment.

So I getting lost what to do. If it happen again then maybe I check the cable - if this don't make any different maybe it the inverter as screen came alive again at the moment.

It may not be the screen but it definately isnt the inverter. The inverters job is to power the backlight (the flourecent tube inside the screen) Screens can have intermitant faults but it is possible that a graphics chip or such as mentioned above isnt out putting. Just dont waste your money buying a inverter when it has no bearing on this issue.

Thanks for the help

It been on and off but mostly on. It look like maybe the nvidia is the problem but not 100% sure so I guess when it pack up I'll just have to pick up new one. Don't think I'll go back to dell again. While it last I may still get monitor for it.

Need to backup my laptop before it give up!!!

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom