• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dell XPS 15 or Acer 5750g

PST

Standard Member
My decision on a new laptop has come down to two choices.

The Dell XPS 15 (i5-2410, 500gb hdd, 1gb GT 520m graphics card) will be £559 with shipping (including discounts).

The Acer Aspire 5750g (same spec as the Dell but with a 540m graphics card) will be £528 with shipping.

On paper it looks like an obvious choice for the Acer. However, i've had poor experiences with both manufacturers in the past (multiple HDD failures with a previous Dell laptop and major heat problems with an Acer).

Any reason to pick the Dell over the Acer despite the £30 difference?

Wez68

Distinguished Member
My decision on a new laptop has come down to two choices.

The Dell XPS 15 (i5-2410, 500gb hdd, 1gb GT 520m graphics card) will be £559 with shipping (including discounts).

The Acer Aspire 5750g (same spec as the Dell but with a 540m graphics card) will be £528 with shipping.

On paper it looks like an obvious choice for the Acer. However, i've had poor experiences with both manufacturers in the past (multiple HDD failures with a previous Dell laptop and major heat problems with an Acer).

Any reason to pick the Dell over the Acer despite the £30 difference?
i personally would go for the dell,i have basically the same model and its fantastic,soundwise i dont think you can beat the speakers on the dell,build quality is good,cooling is good,if you can afford the full hd screen its fantastic

PST

Standard Member
i personally would go for the dell,i have basically the same model and its fantastic,soundwise i dont think you can beat the speakers on the dell,build quality is good,cooling is good,if you can afford the full hd screen its fantastic

Unfortunately, much as the specs of the Dell are nice, I've now seen it doesnt have a numeric keypad, which is something I find myself using fairly often. As such it looks like it will have to be the Acer. Cheers

jagr

Acer all the time for me. You get alot for your money and they are reliable (in my experience)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom