Question Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 Not Using Dedicated Video Card

lecnt

I have a Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 which has a dedicated video card with 4GB RAM. I use this laptop for work, having a Dell D6000 docking station connected to 3 x 4k monitors. I usually have two remote desktop sessions going simultaneously, full screen on one monitor each, and I use the third monitor for browsing, YouTube, etc.

Unfortunately, the system cannot handle this setup. It is using the built-in Intel HD 630 video card at almost 100% while the Radeon RX Vega is sitting at 0% doing nothing.

Is there a way to use the Radeon card to improve performance?

1591194423696.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
That's Intel's odd experiment where Intel included a AMD GPU and memory on their CPU package so it may not work the same way as a normal dual GPU setup.

Normally with switchable graphics you'd go into the AMD or Nvidia control panel and assign which applications you'd like to be presented with the more powerful GPU so they use that for their calculations.

Then the output is routed to the integrated GPU which is the one handling all of the displays and stuff.

Whether your unusual hardware works the same way I'm not sure, worth a look in radeon settings though.

I don't recognise any of the programs in your list as big users of GPU but given the high amount of video memory and the 100% 3D I guess there's something making big demands.

lecnt

I checked the Radeon settings, it's a joke. It says nothing's running.
It's also very confusing to me why 3D is maxed out. I'm not running any 3D app/game. The only thing I can think of is Chrome using 3D to speed up 2D processing?

Here's the Radeon settings page:
1591201342414.png

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It may be that it's designed to only show programs that are actually invoking one of the software frameways that allows the GPU to do calculations, such as DirectX or OpenGL and won't show most programs.

Although that doesn't explain why it's missing whatever's causing the workload. Have you checked you've got the latest video drivers from Intel/Dell? Although it looks like they haven't been updated in some time:

You can select various GPU-related columns if you right click on the column headings in the various other tabs of Task Manager such as details and processes. That'll allow you to narrow down which application is causing the load.

Chrome will be using a little, but I'm running a the most cut down version of Intel's integrated graphics of that generation and it's not using more than 200MB memory and single digit processor percentage

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom