Question Dell XPS 13

nick67

My son is doing his GCSEs this summer then 6th form (maybe then Uni) so looking for a laptop.

He has been looking at the Dell XPS 13 range both 9360 and 9370.

Wondered what people's experience is of the machine and recommendation for a good place to buy with a discount.

Although he might say he is looking to play games, since he has a hi-end gaming tower I don't think this is necessary so wondered if the i5 8gb with standard screen would suffice.

I know negotiating with a 16 yo should be fun.

Any help much appreciated.

Plugman

I have had a XPS 13 i5 8th Gen 8gb laptop. It was good only reason I changed as I needed a bigger screen. John Lewis have them for £999 at the moment but they were £899 recently there, 3 year guarantee as well. John Lewis also do customer returned ones as well and they are usually around 20% cheaper with the same returns (35 day) and warranty. They can be a bargain but check the condition before you buy. If you are anywhere near High Wycombe they sometimes have a good selection.

Generally I would say the XPS is good but don't have overlook this Asus model ASUS Zenbook UX331UN-EG009T Laptop, Intel Core i5, 8GB, 256GB SSD, GeForce MX150, 13.3", Royal Blue at John Lewis this model add a graphics card as well even if that's somewhat basic but is better than the intel graphics on the Dell.

nick67

That's great thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I'll keep a look out if JL reduce them again

Buurman

I had a 13 for a while with 8gb ram - was a lovely bit of kit and perfect for travelling and while I’d want a bigger screen and external keyboard/mouse if I was on it all day there’s no better laptop in that form factor imho (I’ve also got a 13” MacBook Air).

I only got rid as work got me an XPS 15” with 32gb ram as I wanted to do some training on it which needed to run some virtual labs. I’d def get another if I was purchasing it for myself

nick67

Thanks for reconfirming how great the XPS is.

He now has a 9360 i7 8th gen with touch screen.

From my experience I always felt Dell were entry level kit with low build quality. In the week I spent a very long time in both John Lewis and PCWorld, at no point did a sales person approach me. I played around with all the makes, Dell,HP, Apple, Lenovo etc and was surprised and very impressed with the build quality of the Dell, I would say it was the best of the bunch

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom