• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dell X50 & GPS

chrisw

I've just got hold of a Dell X50v and want to get a GPS receiver. I have no idea about what the best option would be, although looking on ebay there are about 100 different makes and models and also they vary between wired, bluetooth, SD based...

Can someone point me in the direction of the best value and easiest to set up option. I will be using it with Tom Tom 5 software.

Cheers

Chris

DrPepper

i use the Globalsat BT338 bluetooth with Dell X50v.Picks up a lot satellite very fast.Do a seach for more info.

chrisw

Cheers all. I'll have a look at them both and see if I can get a good deal anywhere - unless you can also help me out in that department?!??

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
chrisw said:
Cheers all. I'll have a look at them both and see if I can get a good deal anywhere - unless you can also help me out in that department?!??
My link to the Holux is the best price I could find without resorting to ebay.

chrisw

Right, I went for the Holux 236 and have tom tom 5 on my X50, but can't get tom tom to see my GPS reciever. I have paired it as a device and that's fine, but when it asks me what GPS I choose other bluethooth and then it asks what is it connected to in tom tom the options I get are:

Com3
Native IR
BT UART on Com5
Bluetooth Serial port CO (can't see the rest of it)
USB Cable
Serial Cablie on Com1

please help me!!!! I've tried all options and none seem to work!

bobsplace

chrisw said:
Right, I went for the Holux 236 and have tom tom 5 on my X50, but can't get tom tom to see my GPS reciever. I have paired it as a device and that's fine, but when it asks me what GPS I choose other bluethooth and then it asks what is it connected to in tom tom the options I get are:

Com3
Native IR
BT UART on Com5
Bluetooth Serial port CO (can't see the rest of it) (this one ):)
USB Cable
Serial Cablie on Com1

please help me!!!! I've tried all options and none seem to work!

Com 7

Worked for me......

chrisw

still nowt - just says "no gps device!"

I have paired it in bluetooth manager also.

any other ideas of what I'm doing wrong/ not doing?

chrisw

what do the lights on the front of the reciever mean, I assume the left is GPS signal - but only have a flashing red light here, the middle is BT and the letf is battery - I know what they are, but do the lights change colour etc?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Have you updated the Tom Tom software from their website? The original V5 had a bug that wouldn't allow Other Bluetooth GPS to be configured. You had to select wired.

IIRC, when Tom Tom spreads text off the edge of the display (as in the com port numbers), tapping & holding displays the whole thing.

LEDs on the Holux 236:

Red - Solid when acquiring a fix & then flashes when fixed.
Blue - Flashes every 2 seconds when acquiring a pairing & then every 5 seconds when paired.
Green - Solid when charging & goes off when charged. Probably does something as the battery's about to die (the previous model did) but haven't experienced that yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom