1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell W3706MB 37" HD ready LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Teknophobia, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Teknophobia

Teknophobia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've searched the forum for both the Dell 32" and 37" LCD TV but could not find anything.

Can anyone give me any pointers on why I should or should not buy this?

Someone had earlier stated that the 16ms response rate on Dell TVs was not good, but elsewhere people have said that response is good for sports coverage.

The list price for the 37" is £1614, but our Dell account manager can get this down to £1155 (inc VAT + delivery) if I order it with another PC (for someone else).

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

TEk

2. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    US review of 30"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=2944863&highlight=dell+37+lcd#post2944863

Listed on Dell UK site, your price is very good:-

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/lcd_w3706mc?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Has HDMI & DVI & VGA input, which is good, twin tuner DVB-T and analogue, which is good (similar to Toshiba 37WLT58). It has 1366x768 native panel like most 37" LCD's, only a few (e.g. Benq DV3750 and Philips 37PF9830 have 1980x1080), but performance depends on scaler, Dell's 24" LCD has poor forum feedback with SD sources.

Separate Speakers are a nice touch, could neatly wall mount. Unfortunately no details on response times. Also under the PC connectivity tab, only VGA listed, on some LCD's the DVI does not easily accept PC inputs, but even so DVI & HDMI is good.

3. Teknophobia

Teknophobia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rocky.

Anyone here got a Dell 32" or 37" ??

TEk

4. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    i think that 30" review is of an older model, the threads are dated 2003 :lesson:

5. askipwith

askipwith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received one of Dell's 37 inch LCD TV's two weeks ago. I'd say the picture is pretty good. However:

I'd like to hear from anyone that has experienced the following problems as they seem like software bugs in the TV's operating system. And given the price of the unit I'm pretty annoyed:

1. When using the digital tuner (integrated) you can only change channel using the up/down keys - unless you have just used the up/down keys in which case using the numbers on the remote control will change channel as long as you do it quickly (within a couple of secs) - otherwise it stops working again.

2. If you 'delete' a channel from the DTT channel table then the menu system crashes requiring a reboot

3. There's no way of browsing channels by name (i.e. no channel menu). OK so this isn't a bug but a pretty basic expectation from any digital TV/box...?

4. If you try and rename an analogue TV channel nothing happens.

IN ADDITION I'D LIKE TO REPLAY WHAT I WAS TOLD BY DELL 'RELATIONSHIP TECHNICAL SUPPORT' - any by the way this chap was apparently a team manager(!)

1. On explaining these problems: "Its working to design"
    2. On challenging the fact that DTT channel selection did in fact work intermittantly: "well I'd say that was a fluke"
    3. On challenging how he knew it was working 'to design': "well we at dell know about these things" and "no I don't have the manual"
    4. At which point I asked him who made the monitor for Dell "I don't know"

I'd say the problems are silly software glitches, which should be easily fixed... but came away from my 'relationship technical' experience with the distinct impression that I was being (a) treated like an idiot and (b) fobbed off.

Would anyone like to add to this? Any similar experiences?

6. askipwith

askipwith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a call back from Dell today saying that they have discussed the issues with the screen manufacturers who have confirmed that the problems are software-related. I'm told that they are working on a fix.

As the screen has an RS232 (factory use) serial port I'm hoping they will flash the firmware.

7. ilikeanalogue

ilikeanalogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all you Norwegian speaking people out there www.dinside.no have just done a review of the 37 inch Dell. They give it numbers out of 10.

They liked it, certainly more than the Viewsonic (which is admittedly a lot cheaper). They even compared it to a Pioneer 436 plasma.

They said the Dell has the best sound, remote control and table standout of the three. Menu system was as good as the Pioneer.

Black levels could have been better (as with all LCDs) but are better than the Viewsonic. There is more noise in the picture than the Viewsonic but skin tones look more natural.

Overall they say that to picture quality isn't as good as the premium models, but those cost at least twice as much (at least here in Norway.) I shall be buying one when they come down in price. It's supposed to be even better than the 26” Dell I've just bought and I find that impressive, if a little small for the lounge.

8. ilikeanalogue

ilikeanalogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0