1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell W1900 LCD TV Opinions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by AndyT_uk, May 21, 2005.

1. AndyT_uk

AndyT_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone has one of Dells w1900 lcd tv's? Currently thinking of getting one for the bedroom that i can hook up to my freeview box and PC. Heard some good reviews from sites on the net but i was just wondering if anyone had any personal opinions on it?

Any pics of it in situ as well would be nice. Main point i'm slightly concerning about is the 25ms response time. Does anybody notice ghosting at all?

Also does anybody know what panel this uses and what other lcd tvs use the same panel. I knew they used to use the samsung panels in there TFT's. Just would like to see the panel in action before buying it really.

CHeers for any help/opinions.

Andy

2. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I got mine in last night, and so far so good.

My initial opinions are.....

The unit itself look very nice, infact very impressive IMHO and the handset with was nice too. I've got it hooked up to my PC via VGA and it looked sharp and defined with a rich plain black back ground. It didn't look washed out like my 15" Eizo I'm staring at now. I also hooked it up to the DVD player through component PS and the picture was nice and sharp.

I'll get it hooked up to Sky tonight and let you know how I get on, but so far I like it.

Oh and the picture in picture was the icing on the cake for me.

3. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much did you pay for it Stripe ?.

4. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    £463 inc VAT and Del

5. goli

goli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stripe

Could you give us an update on the TV performance of the Dell W1900? I am especially thinking about light, sharpness, ghosting...

By the way, is the TV fully HD compatible?

I am about to buy one myself if reviews here are satisfactory...

Niels

6. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I have it set up in bedroom with a ariel feed from my sky+ box and a cheapy DVD player via scart. The picture is very clear and sharp, with a good range of preset brightness levels. I haven't noticed any ghosting on either input, or for that matter when I had it hooked up to the PC or through component to a different DVD player.

As for it being HD compatable, I can't remember reading it on their website but the reason I chose it was that it could do 1280 x 768, which should cover the 720p input for HD.

So far I'm very pleased with it :thumbsup:

7. AndyT_uk

AndyT_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the replies so far guys, think my Dads ordered it already and have managed to get a 20% discount from them due to them messing up an order for my sisters laptop.

Shall post some pics when i get it :) Just have to make some room on the desk now. :rolleyes:

8. AndyT_uk

AndyT_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just set the unit up today, dvi input is good, but at the mo i'm a little disappointed with the scart input from the freeview box. Just seems to be a little blurry, not a crisp picture.

Could this just be down to the quality of the scart cable i'm using? When i had the box hooked up to my 14" LG tv the quality was almost perfect using the same quality. Do LCD's require better quality cabling?

Cheers for any help

9. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    isnt this one a 16:10 ratio or is that another of theirs?
    does it have HDMI ?

10. AndyT_uk

AndyT_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. my01tfr

my01tfr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As anyone worked out how you set channel 1 to bbc1 etc. It seems when you carry out a channel scan the first channel it finds gets stored as channel 1 and so on. So if it finds ITV1 first then this is stored as channel 1.

Thanks
    Terry

12. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    In the set up there is options to swap the channels about, but you can only move them to unassigned numbers.

Ie. to get ITV to channel 3 you need to assign what is stored on 3 to say 7 first then move ITV from 1 to 3 and so on.