1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell W1700LCD TV/Monitor

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Jarvo, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Jarvo

Jarvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was considering buying a sharp or samsung LCD TV but also need a new PC monitor. At under £500 for a 17" widescreen the Dell TV/Monitor is looking very tempting and would do both jobs.

Has anyone seen or used the Dell W1700LCD TV/Monitor, It will be used as a PC monitor but mostly for watching Sky and DVD's via the RGB input.

Cheers :smashin:

2. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,772
    Probably way too late...But get the Dell, fantastic value and great image quality...The SCART does accept RGB...In addition if you like to venture into progressive scan it has a full set of component inputs capable of both NTSC/PAL progressive scan...

3. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I saw the sharp LL-171ME in tottenham court road for £399 was tempted to get it but it has a 25ms response time which put me off as I will be using it a lot to play XBox.

Sharp LL-171ME product detail page

Should I be that concerned about the response time?

4. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,772
    Looking nice. Personally I wouldn't worry too much. My laptop has got 24ms response with 1920x1200 resolution. Can't see any problems with games like FarCry or Doom3.

Regarding the Dell, I think it has the edge due to the acceptance of component inputs, so you can play your Xbox in progressive scan which works great on mine. Also you can connect Sky (if you have it) or Freeview to the component inputs which is just a stunning picture....

I don't know the Sharp but I can't imagine that the Dell is much faster and there is no problem there...

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    for £650 you can have a 22" hitachi with PC inputs and component connections. It is more than you are looking at, but its a lot more screen.

6. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,772
    Wow that is good value for money!

Are you sure it has got component inputs, because the Hitachi website doesn't mention those at all. Not that that means anything as Dell doesn't state them either but they are there! On the plus side it does state two RGB scart inputs and I think it looks quite good but that is subjective ofcourse.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    you're right, doesn't seem to have component in...

I'm not too bothered for that size of screen (i'm not going to be using it for big movies), and it has PC in which is important to me. You could use a component to VGA converter if you aren't using the PC input.

8. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,772
    I still looks good value for money and it is a personal decision. Personally if it didn't have component inputs I would like a bit higher resolution for that size.

I mean compared to my Dell is has got the same native resolution but a bigger screen, so either the pixels are bigger or they are further apart. Both resulting in a less defined picture. In comparison my 15.4" laptop screen has got 1920x1200. A movie on that is just absolutely stunning....

If you want that size and pc inputs and dvi and higher resolution, check out the Apple HD Cinema displays if image quality is on the table....

Have fun Richard...