Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by monsieurblack, Feb 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hi all :)
    i did a quick search and didn't come up with anything so have started a new thread, mods: please feel free to move/merge/lock/delete as appropriate if there is another thread :)

been looking at this Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD Panel and have to say its mighty tastey :cool: just wondering if anyone here has any experience using one or can offer me any advice as to whether or not i should make the purchase :thumbsup: i think the current price of £472.59 including VAT and Shipping is an incredible deal and i hear that there are e-coupons of some description floating around the web too :confused: so if anyone has one that needs a home or can point me in the right direction i would be very grateful :smashin:

at the moment i currently have a iiyama 22" crt and run it at 1600 x 1200. i always said to myself i wouldn't get an lcd until i could afford one that could run at the same or similar resolution, due to the apps i use i need all the screen space i can get :p this one has come along and i'm really really tempted, what do you guys think? i know the issues with colour reproduction but think i can work round that and i think my eyes would thank me for it too! :D lol. i'd also sell my crt too to help with the cost.

any info welcome [close to hitting that 'buy' button ;)] :cool:
    regards
    monsieurblack

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi,

I can't comment on the 2005FPW, but if it's anything like the 2001FP which I have, it should be excellent. Mind you, the new 2405FPW looks rather tempting.... :)

Steve

3. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    he he :D
    indeed. the new 24" looks really good...but as always, it does come down to money :thumbsdow shame eh?
    anyway, thanks for replying :) glad you're happy with your Dell LCD. my parents actually have a 19" one and it does look superb.
    anyone else have any info to offer? y'know...before i part with my cash! lol
    many thanks
    monsieurblack

oh and any information at all about these elusive dell coupons would be very very much appreciated

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'm sitting in front of one right now :thumbsup:
    Only had it a day but I like it so far and TBH I think anything larger would be too big to use as a computer monitor. I'm sitting a couple of feet away and it fills my field of view more than well enough.
    Also got it for £100 less than Dell as http://www.aria.co.uk had it as one of their daily specials.
    If you have any questions I'll try and answer them.

5. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hi there
    thanks for your reply :thumbsup:
    i hear what you're saying about size...although i am tempted by the 24" ;) but think i'll get by with the 20 :p
    i wasn't aware that other stores stocked dell product, bar dell themselves [obviously :rolleyes:] and ebay :zonked: so glad you brought that to my attention.
    just looked at the price and it currently lists it at £410.08 inc of vat, not too sure about shipping...anyway, it states the warranty at 'only' 1 year return to base...whereas when purchased through dell themselves, they offer 3 year next business day exchange and with lcd displays we all know how hit and miss it can be with quality control n the like.
    what are your thoughts? do you think that for £60 its worth paying for the peace of mind?
    and if you don't mind me asking...what price did you manage to pick yours up at?
    i'll be asking work tomorrow if they want to buy my current 22" [iiyama Vision Master Pro 511 MA201D] crt off of me [hey, its worth a try! :p] if not then i'll no doubt offer it here first before ebay'ing it...this is all of course whether i decide to actually buy an lcd! lol
    thanks again
    everyone else feel free to chip in with your words of wisdom!
    monsieurblack

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I never really thought about the warranty, on checking the 'instruction' CD it is a 1 year Guarantee with Dell paying for collection and return. I paid £374 all in for the monitor and seeing it at that price I just bought it but only you can decide if the extra £60 is worth it for the 3 year Dell support. Shipping was about £7 by City Link.

I've yet to see an LCD that can beat a CRT for colour rendition and evenness of image. So it depends what you're buying the monitor for as to whether it's a step in the right direction or not.

Edit: Just to add the S-video and Composite inputs are utter rubbish, lots of ghosting and smearing. As a PC monitor it is great.

7. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hi again :)
    thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    i'm aware of the colour advantage that crt's hold but feel i can 'live with it' and i'm sure my eyes will thank me for getting an lcd.
    the price you got is superb! if only i could have got it at that i too would have just bought it. but thinking about it, i'm quite close to going with dell, yeah i know its quite a bit for something that one hopes not to have to use...but it is a nice peace of mind and apparently their support is pretty good [from what i hear and as far as these types of companies go i guess! lol]
    thanks for the heads up re: the alternative connections, but i will be using it a 'just' a monitor, thanks again.
    asked at work today to see if they were interested in buying my 22" crt off of me and they appeared quite interested, difficult to say i guess, but there is a chance :) [saves me ebay'ing if they will take it off me]
    regards
    monsieurblack

edit: any info on where to get these Dell Coupons from?
    pretty please anyone :cool:

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Had a read up last night and there's supposed to be a couple of versions of the monitor around, the later one being 'better'. I have the earlier one.
    I would think that buying from Dell would get you one of the newer revisions.

9. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    oh wow :eek:
    thanks SO much for letting me know :smashin: :thumbsup: i wasn't aware of that. pretty close to hitting that buy button :D but still holding out to see if anyone knows where to get these Dell coupon codes from :cool: from the bits i've read they seem to be as active as the cd-wow ones! :rotfl: so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
    you're a true gent :)
    thanks
    monsieurblack

10. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Be a little careful with these monitors - they are excellent if you get a good one BUT there are issues with light "seepage" or "bleeding" from the backlight into/onto the panel, particularly in the corners.

I have sent two back for this reason - it's particularly prominent on a black screen (windows XP screensaver for example) - but also results in colour de-saturation accross the spectrum - not good when you are using the monitor for viewing photo's/DVD's etc etc.

Do a web search for the full story - 2005fpw - one forum in the USA has 69 pages of people complaining about this issue - however, perfect units do exist so might be worth persevering.

11. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hi there :)
    yeah, thanks for the headsup :thumbsup: i've read a little in to the problems people are having but decided to go ahead all the same. from the reports i hear dell are pretty good about exchanges [and refunds, but i hope it doesn't come to that :eek:] lets hope i'm one of the lucky ones eh? :lease: ;)
    i'll report back when i have it
    thanks again
    regards
    monsieurblack

12. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good Luck ! In fairness Dell have been good at arranging swap-out of both my units - I just hope the third one is OK for me!

13. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i know these are £270 in the states,i was going to buy 2 today off dell uk the best price he gave was £470 but i told him i have seen them on ebay for £420 so he said if i buy 10 he should be able to go lower,ill see what he says on monday and let u guys know

14. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Mine is from the 'Bad' batch (Nov 04 revision A00) and does have an uneven backlight but it's nowhere near as bad as some of the pictures from the owners who sent them back. More importantly to me it has no dead or sticky pixels so I don't want to risk swapping it out for one that may come with one or two of those.

I'm guessing that in assembly the screen is being warped slightly which is causing the seepage and a better frame would/has improved things.

TBH I've seen screens that are worse and anyway I've changed the desktop image so I don't notice it now. ;)

15. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    could you have 2 connected to a geforce 6800 ultra and then you would have in effect a 40inch virtual display

16. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My first one was November Build - Rev A00 - and that was bad - but more worringly my second screen was a February 2005 build - Rev A01 - and that was a LOT WORSE !! :thumbsdow - I'd heard rumours that the issue is with the panel manufacturer and that one is bad and one is good - but I don't know how you can tell which one is which?

17. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would you not need 4 - arranged in a rectangle, to achive a 40" diagonal?

Two side by side would still be good though :thumbsup:

18. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I've been sat here flexing the screen surround and it makes a difference to the amount of 'seepage' which is why I think it's at least partly an assembly issue. That might also explain some of the apparent randomness in getting a good/bad screen.

Anyway I've just fired up Half life 2 on it for the first time in 16:10 widescreen and it's super, I don't want to go back to my old screen.

19. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mat,

You are right - flexing the outer frame can make a difference to the degree/location of seepage - they obviously have not engineered enough rigidity into the panl mount - ergo they will always have issues with seepage due to transport etc. etc.

I've played with mine a little but am unable to make it any "better" only "worse"!

20. mytse

mytse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently Dell seem to have solved the problem of the backlight issue with its new batch.

21. flid

flid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine yesterday, having done much research. I bought it with 3 year on site warranty off ebay for 420inc delivery, from someone claiming to have bulk bought direct from uk dell (alot of the ones on ebay are grey imports with no proper warranty) and test each one before shipping. The box itself still had the shipping sticker from dell uk this month.

I'm happy to say I've got no dead pixels, ghosting or bleeding, just one really sweet looking monitor. For the price, and considering it's the same lcd as apple cinema, i'm extremely impressed :D

22. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You could have got it direct from Dell for £399.21 including shipping and 3 year warranty!

http://***********/5esa6

Pat

23. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to advise a friend who wants an LCD TV. She's looking for something very minimalist, preferably just a screen with thin bezel surround without speakers sticking out of either side (and she doesn't want to go up to 26" which rules out the detatchable speaker Sharp Aquos screens). The Dell 2005FPW seems to look the part (no speakers) and have better specs (at least a higher contrast ratio) than Dell's 19" LCD TV. It also has a S-Video input so with the right Freeview box, or failing that a Syncmaster or similar cheap Scart to VGA converter, then it should accept TV images OK. The spec on the Dell site also mentions composite. How does that work? Does it have a UHF tuner in it?

My big question is, does anyone have any experience/comments/advice on using this monitor as a TV (fed off a Freeview box ideally)? Does it have any facilities to handle 4:3 and 16:9 switching? Also, has anyone considered pulling off the Dell logo? Is this possible or is it a one piece moulding and integral with the bezel? I suspect that all you people using this as a PC monitor probably think that's mad but in a sitting room I would personally quite like to be able to get rid of that big Dell logo on the front. Maybe if it can't be removed then it could at least be coloured over with a marker pen to make it more discreet.

- Julian

24. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Like I said before the AV inputs are rubbish, if you're after an LCD TV this monitor isn't it. BTW what's wrong with 26" screens they're easier to buy and in real life don't 'appear' much bigger than the Dell, does it have to fit into a small space?

edit: There is a 23" Samsung screen advertised on Dabs for about £530 if that's any help.

25. beeboy

beeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely this monitor would be an ideal TV fed from a DVI media center? Or am I wrong?

26. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) . Therein lies one of the great mysteries of the universe! Honestly, I can't explain it. One shouldn't stereotype, but from my circle of friends this is definitely a woman thing. Pretty much all my women friends despise large TVs, this particular friend currently has a 14" portable TV as her main set. I did actually suggest a 26" set to her and the look I got said it all! I think she would have been more sympathetic to a suggestion to lay grass in a corner of the living room and invest in a small flock of sheep.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and the Dabs/Samsung suggestion. Does anyone have a link to a picture, there isn't one on the Dabs site and the Samsung UK web site doesn't seem to list that model?

Also, even if the AV inputs are crap then wouldn't a cheap Scart to VGA converter still be a possibility? It probably wouldn't make sense to invest over £100 for the JS Technology one (which gets mostly positive comments in the Plasma forum) but there are cheaper alternatives that might be OK for a 20" set (on the assumption that it is less revealing than a 42" set) like a Syncmaster cable and a couple of other lower priced converters from Maplins. The thing that I'm still unclear about though is the aspect ratio. On VGA input does it assume that it is being driven by a graphics card set to the correct resolution so 4:3 broadcasts would be stretched or is there any control in the monitor?

- Julian