1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Ultrasharp 2005 widescreen - why so cheap?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by gargoyle, Aug 7, 2005.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm currently putting together a new gaming rig and having sorted out the major components, am currently looking at monitors - I've seen quite a few dell ultrasharp 2005's selling well below the usual prices - the cheapest being £351 inc free delivery - sounds great but is there any reason why this model is selling so cheaply especially as I've seen it advertised at much higher prices?
    Also, are ther any owners of samsungs current 8ms model which sells for around £200 who're happy with their monitors as I'm hoping to pick this up in case the dell pans out?

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    Well I have the 24" Dell - got it off possibly the best ebay dealer ever for just under £650

Its a quality screen and well worth the money

Word of warning - check the price on the 20" includes VAT - all the cheaper prices I found did not

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Does anyone know of a 30" or larger LCD that can display high resolutions (1600X1200 and above) ??

Ive been looking but its hard to find anything good.

Currently I use a 30" LCD, but its highest res is only 1280X1024 through VGA.

I want to use DVi instead of VGA to get the sharper more vibrant image. But the displays im using only get high resolutions through VGA.

My plasma also accepts 1600X1200, but also through VGA. I want to use DVi for better picture quality.

4. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    How much can you afford? Also the 30" apple.

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Price isnt my bigest concern. I did consider that apple display but it only accepts dual DVi-D. Not many cards out there can do that.
    I also want to be able to conect other things too. Not just PC. That apple creen only has 1 DVi conection. Thats just silly considering the price.

6. RoanS

RoanS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. djsat2

djsat2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got the Dell, had it it a few weeks now and bought it for about 356 on Ebay. Although this is my first PC LCD im very pleased with it, the qualiy is great and it has a built in USB hub and option for speakers. Now i just need a new GFX card as Half Life 2 (which wil use the screen native res.) is chugging along a bit slower than normal.

8. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I bought one of the dell 2005 fpws a few weeks back but have since got a refund. There is a MAJOR baclight issue with the monitor - turn off all the lights and watch something dark - you will notice the screen is not completely black, I had light coming from the top right and bottom left corners.

Do a search on google for dell 2005 fpw backlight to find out more - it's actually awful that dell still sell these moniotors - they know about the problem, haven't fixed it and your replacements could be worse.

But if you don't use it in the dark it should be fine - absolutrely crisp monitor - no ghosting etc but awful backlight.

9. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Checked out a friends dell 2005 widescreen and was NOT impressed, first, having been a long time crt user (and now advocate), I was dismayed by the shallow viewing angle both horizontally and vertically, I find it astonishing that after having paid so much money for it, he has to put up with some very obvious dead pixels peppered around the screen, and finally I was'nt happy with the black level, so instead of purchasing one, I've decided to plump for the philips 201b40 21 in monitor (£233).

10. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    CHeck the BenQ website they have a 37" LCD which can do 1920*1080...., yes it is a PC screen not a TV...

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I had a look at that screen. It is in fact a TV screen. But it looks like it would work as a monitor. It has an HDCP DVi input.
    And does indeed do 1920X1080.

I like this panel but not many cards out there can do HDCP yet.

Either need to find a panel that does this resolution without HDCP or wait for more cards that do HDCP.

Alternatively they do have a 23" monitor that has DVI-D that may not be HDCP. But 23" is too small for me.
    I got used to my 30" monitor and cant go back!

1920X1200 is very high and tempting.

I think ill wait a bit longer. Im sure eventually ill be able to get a larger monitor with similar specs to this 23" monitor.

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    I just bought the Dell 24 incher from Ebay £635 inc delivery , I bought at 1.45pm they delivered at 4.10PM SAME DAY!!!!

I was a CRT diehard until now , but man this Screen is SUPERB , fantastic size , no ghosting or trails in any game, excellent DVD playback, even the missus who is not usually interested says it was a bargain!!
    No dead pixels, no light problems!!

PC Format gave this monitor 95% at a price of £860, for £635 its got to be 100%!!!

I play PES4 online loads , this is like playing on a full size pitch!!!

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Mine occasionally makes the odd buzzing noise from its powersupply. Not something that particularly bothers me though and its intermittent.

14. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AML

Is the DVI input not a standard one WITH HDCP compliance?
    I don't think that you need a special HDCP card........

Dobbin

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If these conections are digital HDCP then I dont think they would work with a PC.
    Most graphics cards arent designed to accept the new HDCP that new LCD panels have. (usually through HDMI and DVI-D)

If its a lesser form of HDCP that has been around for a while then there shouldnt be a problem.
    There is a lack of information posted along with these products at the web site. I guess we would need to ask the companies directly before deciding to buy.

16. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You don't need a DVI output with HDCP for a monitor with HDCP.

You do however need a monitor with HDCP for a DVI output with HDCP.

A HDCP capable monitor should always show both HDCP and non-HDCP sources.

17. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have a Dell 2005 myslef, very happy with it. It can't match a good CRT still, but then I do now have my desk back, and finding a good affordable widescreen CRT monitor isn't easy.

18. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
  19. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    YOu cannot get that screen in the UK last time I checked, you need a US shipping address and customs will no doubt RIP you no to mention the screen might get damaged on delivery so no insurance....and no warranty...

20. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    AML; there's a good chance the Eizo has the same Philips LCD panel as the Apple, Dell and Philips models of the same spec and size.

21. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Totally irrelevant. HDCP compliance is something that is added over and above standard DVI capability. There will, undoubtedly, be HDCP-only outputs on devices like next-gen video disc players, but there is no such thing as an HDCP-only input on a screen, never has been, and never will be.

Edit: there's also the issue of HDMI. For the purposes of this discussion you may regard HDMI as being the same as HDCP-enabled DVI, except with a different plug/socket. So if the screen has an HDMI input but no DVI, that's still not in any way a problem as far as HDCP is concerned. (Though there may be other issues - HDMI at the moment tends to accept only "video" and not "PC" resolutions, for example).