Dell Studio XPS 16 Laptop

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jendo, Feb 2, 2009.

1. jendo

jendo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Thinking of purchasing one of these. Can anyone give me there opinion of these and what upgrades are worthwhile.
    thanks in advance.

2. wezzywebb

wezzywebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,344
    hi ,have a look on notebook review mate ,theres about 200 pages of owners ,potential owners views ,quite a few unhappy people there ,but dont forget its just been released ,and about 90% of people on there are american !!from what i,ve seen of it ,it looks very nice ,but does seem a bit overpriced ,have you considered the xps 1530 ,you can get some great deals on them now,i,ve had mine around 8 month now and love it ,also ,i emailed dell last week ,asking whether they could supply a 64bit vista premium disc ,got a prompt reply that yes they could and it would be foc, and a vista ultimate disc arrived this morning !!! well chuffed

3. darren68uk

darren68uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +915
    I was going to by one, until i finally got paid and went to order it, and seen the 3 week delay on deliveries :-0

had alook on the dell outlet and bagged a XPS1530 with 1080p screen blu ray writer T9300 2.5ghz intel chip. 8600GT graphics card,4GB 800mhz mem,500GB HD, wifi, bluetooth etc etc etc for £800 well happy,( well will be when its finally delivered)

only thing i would have liked that the studio XPS has is LED screen and backlit keys, i had LED screen on my STudio 1537 and was an awesome screen, had the brightness on minimum it was so bright and clear,,,

as a sub note i did some digging and the xps studio ATI 3670 graphics card seems to be on a par with the Nvidea 8600GT give or take a few frames.... so if you can hold out for delivery go for it

4. planetse

planetse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Very nice but not worth the money. XPS 1530 can be had for a better price with better speck. Screen is fine but no better when you see it side by side with the top spec 1530 one. Had a Studio XPS 16 in the other day, I cannot work out why dell are trying to mix match there catalogue. Too many now are crossing over on the speck.

Dell outlet is still a good place for bargains but don't think it will be open much longer, when Dell UK shut down and all dells in Europe start shipping out of Holland, will customer returns be sent into the Dell outlet so we can purchase them cheep like we do now..

5. Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ",i emailed dell last week ,asking whether they could supply a 64bit vista premium disc ,got a prompt reply that yes they could and it would be foc, and a vista ultimate disc arrived this morning !!! well chuffed "

Hi Wezzywebb,

Could you give me the email address where you contacted Dell. I need to reinstall Windows XP, but the disc that Dell supplied is the original XP and it would be easier if I had a disc with service pack 3 (or even sp 2 )

Thanks, Anne-Sophie.

6. 01110000

Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm also thinking of buying an XPS 16. I've seen one on the Dell outlet store for £850 with the following spec:

Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz
    4GB RAM
    320GB HD
    Bluray
    HD LED Display
    + all the other standard stuff.

Is it worth it or should I stick with an XPS 1530?

7. Owen824

Owen824

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    how do you find lugging this laptop around? is it quite bulky and heavy and a bit cumbersome to take with you or do you not really notice. i currently have a xps m1330 and looking to upgrade to this.