• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dell Studio Laptop Struggles with HD Video!!

Damo77

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

Hopefully you can help me here, I have a Dell Studio Laptop which is a pretty descent spec but it struggles to play HD videos from you tube or BBC iplayer etc.

My Dell has a Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM. Do you think it will be the graphics are not up to it?

How can I check what graphics card I have?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Damian

vsmora

Assuming the drivers are installed properly, it is unlikely to be a fault with the graphics card. Both youtube and iplayer streaming use Flash, which doesn't currently use graphics hardware to accelerate video playback. For now it will primarily depend on your CPU speed and internet speed. You can check if the problem is the internet by simply starting a file then pausing it while it downloads to the cache. If a cached file is still jerky then the CPU may not be powerful enough. Use Task Manager to check how heaviliy stressed the CPU is.

Damo77

Standard Member
Thanks for the info guys.

@Brookheather,

when I click on your link to check the latest graphics drivers it says that I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 and that it is unknown and unsupported by Intel.

But it does inform me they have a newer driver for the Intel WiFi Link 5100, is this worth downloading anyway?

With regards the Flash 10.1 beta, I click on your link and there seem to be a couple of options. Do I need to click on the link labelled 'Download plug-in for windows (EXE 2.4MB)' or the 'Download Active-X for Windows - Internet Explorer Only (EXE 2.5MB)'??

@vsmora,

My CPU is an intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.40 GHz, would this be sufficient to playback HD?

Thanks.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
So you need to download the latest ATI graphics driver from here:

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Install both of the Flash downloads. Yes your cpu is more than sufficient - due to hardware acceleration you can use a 1.3GHz CULV cpu for HD video which is what I have.

Yes I would also install the latest wireless driver. Also run Windows Update and make sure you have installed all of the latest updates.

- Simon.

Damo77

Standard Member
Thanks for the info Simon, you've been a great help.

Sorry for the basic questions but just oen more. When I click on the downloads, it asks me if I want to save or run?

Cheers.

Damo77

Standard Member
Thanks again Simon, when I get 5 minutes I'll check to see if I get improved HD playback performance.

Do any of you guys know good websites to view HD video?

Cheers.

Damo77

Standard Member
Yeah sorry, I had clicked onto the actual driver I think I need to download and then tried to hyperlink that but for some reason it just showed the main driver download page.

Under the ATI Radeon Video Card Drivers, do you think I need the 'Full Catalyst Software Suite' download?

Cheers.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Yeah sorry, I had clicked onto the actual driver I think I need to download and then tried to hyperlink that but for some reason it just showed the main driver download page.

Under the ATI Radeon Video Card Drivers, do you think I need the 'Full Catalyst Software Suite' download?

Cheers.

Yes might as well install the full package.

Damo77

Standard Member
Thanks again for all the help.

Seems better thats for sure but still can't play BBC iplayer in HD! Just continously stops and starts but do you think that is down to the broadband speed?

What other websites can I use to check the HD capabilities?

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Thanks again for all the help.

Seems better thats for sure but still can't play BBC iplayer in HD! Just continously stops and starts but do you think that is down to the broadband speed?

What other websites can I use to check the HD capabilities?

What is your cpu usage while playing HD (use task manager) - if it is low during breakup then the problem will be with your connection not your laptop.

Damo77

Standard Member
The CPU usage is up to 80-90% when the HD video is trying to play and then when it freezes this drops to 15-25%. But once video resumes it instantly goes back up to 80-90% before freezing again. And continues in this cycle. It is completly un watchable like this.

Does this mean the CPU cannot cope with the HD video?

I've read someone about some accelerator software or something that helps the graphics take some of the strain from the CPU when playing videos. Any ideas on this?

Cheers.

vsmora

:laugh: at the same time as we were all posting, Adobe have released Flash 10.1 as a finished product (no longer beta/RC). Your ATI GPU should be able to take accelerate suitable videos and the CPU is ample when used in this way. For videos that do not utilise acceleration, your CPU will definitely be able to smoothly play 720, but 1080 might be borderline.

Anyway, your description of the CPU utilisation sounds more like your internet can't keep up. As previously described, have you tried caching a video (or downloading an offline version) rather than trying to stream directly?

Definitely try some other sites besides iplayer. My understanding is that due to interlacing, the BBC have disabled acceleration for their recent videos, so maybe also try some of their older videos released before mid-March.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...ayer-hd-does-flash-10-1-still-accelerate.html

Damo77

Standard Member
So will I need to go and download the Flash 10.1 full version?

I have tried HD video from youtube and 720 plays fine and even 1080 plays almost perfect with some slight pauses.

Where could I go to download an offline version of a HD video?

Cheers.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
So will I need to go and download the Flash 10.1 full version?

I have tried HD video from youtube and 720 plays fine and even 1080 plays almost perfect with some slight pauses.

Where could I go to download an offline version of a HD video?

Cheers.

You can download from BBC iPlayer HD and then try and play it rather than streaming.

atmoscinema

Jobs (Apple CEO) is right, Flash is very unreliable in my experience also.

I only found one version of Flash 10.1, Beta 1 it would seem (10.1.51.45), that enabled hardware acceleration for BBC iPlayer.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom