Dell sp2309W or HP 2228w?

theGloaming

Standard Member
I'm contemplating buying a LCD monitor over the coming days (and get rid of my prehistoric CRT behemoth), and having scanned some forums and monitors available here, I'm thinking either the Dell sp2309W or the HP2228W.
The cost for both is about the same.

Anyone have an idea how one is compared to the other?

I'm a casual PC user - basic applications, no heavy gaming or such.

kamaran

I'm contemplating buying a LCD monitor over the coming days (and get rid of my prehistoric CRT behemoth), and having scanned some forums and monitors available here, I'm thinking either the Dell sp2309W or the HP2228W.
The cost for both is about the same.

Anyone have an idea how one is compared to the other?

I'm a casual PC user - basic applications, no heavy gaming or such.

I was in the same situation as you and went for the DELL, no regrets at all.

I multi-task a lot its fantastic.

Rakku

Standard Member
I've got the Dell too... and my photographs look awesome on it. I have no idea about true colour accuracy, but they look good to me. I am Legend looks good too in bluray and the games I've tried also look great and have, so far, supported the native resolution.

It fits nicely on the desk too... :)

Good luck!

Graeme

theGloaming

Standard Member
Thanks a lot for the info guys.

Here I am, ready to buy the Dell, when I realize this ancient PC of mine might have a video card which doesn't support the monitor. And lo and behold, so it is.

So I'm looking for a video card which works on my config - if anyone has any leads, I'd much appreciate it. The tech guys in a number of shops here have no idea.

The following might work and are available at nearby tech stores, but I have no idea about the compatibility:

• PNY Verto GeForce 6 6200 256 MB AGP
  • Club 3D 7600GS GDDR2 AGP
  • Club 3D 7600GT GDDR3 AGP
  • Club 3D HD 3650 512MB AGP
  • Club 3D HD 2400PRO AGP 512MB
  • JetWay GeForce 6 6200 256MB TV-Out DVI AGP 8

Details of my current setup:
PC: Dell Dimension 4550
Current Video Card: nVidia GeForce MX420
System Chip Set: Intel 845PE
Processor: Pentium 4, 2.40 Ghz

Expansion Bus Capabilities
Bus Types: PCI (33MhZ) and AGP(66Mhz)
AGP bus protocols: 4x/2x modes at 1.5V

Last edited by a moderator:

Rakku

Standard Member
Thanks a lot for the info guys.

Here I am, ready to buy the Dell, when I realize this ancient PC of mine might have a video card which doesn't support the monitor. And lo and behold, so it is.

So I'm looking for a video card which works on my config - if anyone has any leads, I'd much appreciate it. The tech guys in a number of shops here have no idea.

The following might work and are available at nearby tech stores, but I have no idea about the compatibility:

• PNY Verto GeForce 6 6200 256 MB AGP
  • Club 3D 7600GS GDDR2 AGP
  • Club 3D 7600GT GDDR3 AGP
  • Club 3D HD 3650 512MB AGP
  • Club 3D HD 2400PRO AGP 512MB
  • JetWay GeForce 6 6200 256MB TV-Out DVI AGP 8
Details of my current setup:
PC: Dell Dimension 4550
Current Video Card: nVidia GeForce MX420
System Chip Set: Intel 845PE
Processor: Pentium 4, 2.40 Ghz

Expansion Bus Capabilities
Bus Types: PCI (33MhZ) and AGP(66Mhz)
AGP bus protocols: 4x/2x modes at 1.5V

I'd be amazed if one of the following three didn't work. I'm using an ATI 3870 512mb.

Club 3D 7600GS GDDR2 AGP
Club 3D 7600GT GDDR3 AGP
Club 3D HD 3650 512MB AGP

You should get a better feature set on the graphics card for your money too.

Hope this helps. :)

Graeme

Usama

Novice Member
I have had both and they are both good monitors, they also both look great (design). The HP 2228w has a bit week colours and the Dell SP2309w has strong bright colours but some look to bright like the greens. The Dell will be quite a bit clearer because of the res.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom