Dell Service Tag Not Programmed after BIOS Update - Vostro 5481

datom88

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Dell Vostro 5481 which is now out of warrenty.

After performing a BIOS update on the laptop, everytime it boots a warning message saying "The service tag has not been programmed. This system will not funtion properly without a Service Tag. The setup utility will launch the Service Tag installer".

The 'Setup Utility' never launched, the bios utility doesn't provide the option to change the Service Tag either (it displays 'GV' as the tag and thats it).

The laptop if from 2019 so relatively new.

Has anyone come across something similar in the past?

Thanks.

Hi,

I've got a Dell Vostro 5481 which is now out of warrenty.

After performing a BIOS update on the laptop, everytime it boots a warning message saying "The service tag has not been programmed. This system will not funtion properly without a Service Tag. The setup utility will launch the Service Tag installer".

The 'Setup Utility' never launched, the bios utility doesn't provide the option to change the Service Tag either (it displays 'GV' as the tag and thats it).

The laptop if from 2019 so relatively new.

Has anyone come across something similar in the past?

Thanks.
Contact Dell directly and ask them. They might have a non public BIOS that works better.

I had this with a friend's machine, it was easily sorted by entering the BIOS and simply entering the correct code (from the sticker) in the appropriate field. It was a while ago so I don't remember the specifics but this seems similar to what I remember doing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom