Dell S2721DGF - deep scratch - any options for repairing?

Cezar

Hello

First of all I want to point out that I'm not proud of what I did and do wish I was a bit more careful. I was building a PC on my desk and obviously the monitor is quite close. I was near the end of my build and wanted to tighten a zip-tie with a pair of pliers (sweaty hands) and it was a bit stubborn and pulled too hard which resulted in me hitting my monitor.

- video of the damage

The scratch is deep however it did not crack the actual screen or caused any dead pixels (from what I can tell) however the scratch is visible. It is distracting from time to time, regardless of how much I would like to ignore it.

I've called Dell and they confirmed they can't replace or repair, as expected. Then I called my contents insurance provided and they provided me option where they can provide a voucher for me to buy the same monitor new (-£100 the excess fee) and I get to keep the damaged monitor.

My question is, from someone who never even thought of repairing a monitor however is willing if I can find guidance, can this easily be repaired OR should I just buy a new one and sell this one for £100 to make up the difference?

Looking for advice, suggestions, help or anything along those lines.

Thanks

DavidG1

We've all had annoying accidents - these things happen.
No DIY fix, the front screen layer is integral to the screen assembly. The whole screen panel would need to be replaced - you could try and see if it is cheaper to replace the screen panel by a local workshop, screen panels tend to be generic - if you can find the part number of the screen you can probably find a replacement. Otherwise just pay the excess and accept the voucher and sell the monitor for what you can get.
The other thing about your insurance - the £100 excess may not be the only cost, your premiums may rise next year because of the claim

Last edited:

Cezar

We've all had annoying accidents - these things happen.
No DIY fix, the front screen layer is integral to the screen assembly. The whole screen panel would need to be replaced - you could try and see if it is cheaper to replace the screen panel by a local workshop, screen panels tend to be generic - if you can find the part number of the screen you can probably find a replacement. Otherwise just pay the excess and accept the voucher and sell the monitor for what you can get.
The other thing about your insurance - the £100 excess may not be the only cost, your premiums may rise next year because of the claim

I've had no luck with the replacement parts and emailed loads of shops, none of them will do it.

I've accepted today the voucher and ordered a new monitor and will look to put my current one on auction on eBay.

Well aware that my premium will go up and will see by how much in August. If it's too much then I'll cancel and see if I can move with someone else. I've never claimed anything before but now that I did, for such a silly mistake, I'm thinking that next time (hopefully won't be a next time) I will live with it in order to be reminded that sometimes maybe I don't deserve good things.lol 😅

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom