• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dell PowerEdge 2650 Upgrade

11NG-Ben1642

Standard Member
Folks

I'm soon to upgrade an ageing Dell PowerEdge 2650 Server.

It's currently got 1 x Xeon 1.8 GHz Processor (400MHz FSB) and 2 GB RAM (400MHz FSB).

I can find at a reasonable price some other processors up to 3.2 GHz at 533 MHz FSB and 400 MHz FSB.

However, the processors at the 400 MHz range have Hyper Threading technology, the ones on the 533 bus seem not to have HT, BUT I spotted some on an 800 MHz bus which have HT technology (but obvioulsy a lot more than I can currently afford).

I would obviously gain computing power by having the 2 x HT cores (as HT gives the effect of dual cores) but at a 400 bus speed would I lose the advantage over the 2 x 533 cores.

Also, as the 800 MHz FSB processor is for the same socket as my mobo, would it work at the max 533 of the mobo?

Choices, choices, lol

Please help!!!

Ben

SeanT

Distinguished Member
I'm not too sure that the 800mhz bus processor will run at all in one of these.

rossdagley

Standard Member
Folks

I'm soon to upgrade an ageing Dell PowerEdge 2650 Server.

It's currently got 1 x Xeon 1.8 GHz Processor (400MHz FSB) and 2 GB RAM (400MHz FSB).

I can find at a reasonable price some other processors up to 3.2 GHz at 533 MHz FSB and 400 MHz FSB.

However, the processors at the 400 MHz range have Hyper Threading technology, the ones on the 533 bus seem not to have HT, BUT I spotted some on an 800 MHz bus which have HT technology (but obvioulsy a lot more than I can currently afford).

I would obviously gain computing power by having the 2 x HT cores (as HT gives the effect of dual cores) but at a 400 bus speed would I lose the advantage over the 2 x 533 cores.

Also, as the 800 MHz FSB processor is for the same socket as my mobo, would it work at the max 533 of the mobo?

Choices, choices, lol

Please help!!!

Ben

Did you get anywhere with this as I'm in exactly the same quandry with the same server... :)

kavanaj

Standard Member
Hi - same as that with this guys.... Anyone got any ideas as to exactly what Xeon's can be installed?

I have ESX 3.5 running on mine and want to use VT (if possible) and have 64bit support so I can run Exchange 2007 etc etc.

Thanks,

James :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom