Dell power supplies - which ones are proprietary?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by feet14, Jan 3, 2003.

1. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to upgrade a Dell Dimension XPS M166s dating from early 1997 (Pentium 166MMX). My plan is to buy an ECS Socket A Motherboard, Duron 1300 Retail boxed processor and 256MB PC133 crucial memory as the "barebones" of a new cheap but effective system.

The problem with this is that Dell has been shipping systems with proprietary power supplies for some time so if this system has one of these then I will have to replace it as part of the upgrade.

I've found some websites where it states that systems made from September 1998 onwards have the proprietary supplies, but could someone confirm whether this is correct as I don't want to find when I upgrade that I have got a proprietary unit. Is there an easy way to discern which type a power supply is, for my future reference?

2. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a DELL XPSD266, dated JAN 98 and I have already upgrade it (new case and new power supply) without problems. I have also seen the same on the web about Proprietary Supply starting late '98.

Pay attention to the case (if you change it): the DELL motherboard is not quite a standard ATX form (nearly, only less wide)

Hope this helps.

3. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If you can, check your Dell PSU connector against a standard ATX PSU. On the proprietary PSU's the connector is the same, but the wires (same colour coding) are in different places. I also had a Dell XPSD266 from around the same period, and it's PSU was non-standard. BTW, Don't chance it!!!

--- Dave

4. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info. I'll check the connector and if it has the same wiring as a standard ATX supply then I will test it with an old board as damage would be expensive even with cheap components. Will a new ATX power supply fit? (unfortunately I haven't got the Dimension with me so I can't check)

5. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    At least in my case, the old PSU was a standard size.

--- Dave

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43