Dell PC & poor HD picture.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by leedsfireman, Jul 22, 2004.

1. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I have a Dell PC, pent4 3.02ghz, 1gig ram, 128mb grahic card & 17" Dell HiDef monitor connected via DVI.
    But i must admit the picture quality i've seen using Wmv & some HD discs i've got are not impressive at all.
    The picture seems very soft & fuzzy, can any one give me some pointers how to check if my set up is right.
    Andy.

2. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Have you tried the clips from MS?

How do they look? Water based ones are normally good indicators as to picture quality.

3. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, yes i've tried the MS clips, ie the dolphin one, but like i said the quality is not all that good. It is not sharp & seems soft with no detail.
    I was especting a WOW picture, i hope that it is just down to some wrong settings.
    Andy

4. MR151

MR151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried adjusting the contrast on your monitor? What monitor do you have? Every so often, it will need adjusting.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    What is the resolution of your monitor? If it is not the same as the clip/s you have watched then the additional scaling being performed could well be the cause of the softness and fuzziness.

I have a 1280x768 PC monitor and HD material looks OK at best. Play it on my 1280x720 pj though and it's a completely different story. Pin sharp.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I have to say that the quality of all the HD material I have played on my PC has been simply stunning, even on a very old 15" 1024*768 monitor, taking into account the amateur status of some of the WM9 encodes of course.
    Currently running a 19" 1280*1024 LCD monitor and the image quality has gone up a couple of notches over the crt monitor and when I finally get round to upgrading the PC I can play the 1080i TS and WM9 caps smoothly:)

7. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hidef is stunning on a lo res plasma so anything higher res should be more impressive.

8. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, they look stunning on my 1920x1200 laptop. I would agree with the post above to check you are running at the native resolution of the monitor. Also check if video acceleration is enabled.

9. philjames

philjames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have FFDSHOW installed by any chance, it could have been installed with a codec pack. There are settings (filters) in there that could be softening the image, although i've not come across an install that will soften by default.

Also, check your overlay settings for video contrast, brightness etc,. + check any anti-aliasing settings on your video card, they may be effecting it?? :confused:

In situations such as this, everythings worth a fiddle.......... :) :laugh: