• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Dell New Studio 17 Timeline Thread

Alethioandy

Standard Member
Hey guys, Been reading on here for a few weeks, regarding the looooooonnnngggggg turnaround time on Dell orders, and even more so on Studio 17's, due to the backlogs due to popularity.
So I thought I'd make this thread for reference for anyone else thinking of ordering one around this time.

With the price cut on the Studio 17 with the i7 Core, to me, it seemed like common sense to buy one now, while I was looking for an i7 Laptop anyway.
So I've ordered the basic i7 Model, with the only customization being to include a back-lit keyboard. Spec Below:
Components

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Mobile Processor (1.6GHz, turbo up to 2.8GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)
17.3” High Definition+ (1600x900) LED with TL
Black chainlink
1Yr In-Home Warranty Support, including evenings and Saturdays
McAfee® Security Centre - 15 Month Protection - English
4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
500GB (5400RPM) Serial ATA Hard Drive
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
Primary 9-cell 85 WHr Lithium Ion battery
Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)
No Bluetooth Upgrade
2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Backlit Keyboard

Ran me £770, with Delivery, after a voucher I found online for 5% off. So not too bad.
Anyway, update one.
Placed the order at 10:30am this morning, 19/2/2010.
Used my Mastercard to pay with. As of this exact moment at 13:15, so far, the payment has not been processed, and no money has been taken off my card yet. Order Status is classed as "Order Processing".

I'll update the thread as I get more details via email/phone calls from Dell.

Andy.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
I notice that this model is now available with the Vodafone mobile broadband option for £100 - they don't seem to have made this available to anything else yet.

- Simon.

Alethioandy

Standard Member
Minor Update, my order has had an Estimated Delivery Date generated, for the 8th of March. (2010 Thankfully.)

Still not taken money off my card yet though, anyone know how long the payment processing usually takes?

Andy

Alethioandy

Standard Member
Another Minor Update. As of this morning, the order has moved onto the Work In Progress stage. Hopefully, as there's only the backlit keyboard customisation, this stage won't take too long. I'm remaining optimistic at the minute that the laptop may make it out of China before their new year starts, which should knock some delay off.

Andy

Woody26

I've just had pretty much the same spec apart from the graphics card and backlit keyboard, mine took just over a week to get here. Ordered 5th jan, came on the 12th jan

Alethioandy

Standard Member
Well we're on Day 3 now.
As of this morning, the laptop is now in stage 4: "In Production".
I imagine this is going to be the longest stage, possibly apart from the delivery part.
Does anyone know roughly how long the production time is?
I'm assuming that because it went through the "Work In Progress" stage in just a couple of days, that means that all the relevant parts for my system are currently in stock, and there shouldn't be a delay due to that.......but I could be wrong.
I tried using the Live Chat earlier to ask how long the average production time is, but the lovely person I spoke to, whose name I couldn't pronounce correctly if my life depending upon it, seemed to have little to no idea what I was talking about. Apparently, just saying "It varies from system to system." and then hanging up and ending the chat session, is quality customer service. Awesome!

Andy

Alethioandy

Standard Member
Woody, any chance you know what model the one you ordered was? Was it the Studio 17, or a different model with similar spec?
Also, what was your original EDD, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love mine to be only a week turnaround to get here, but the EDD is still set at 8th of March at the minute.

Andy

JimNastics

My order for a Core i7 Dell Studio 17 with the 1080p screen, which I placed 15/12/09, got cancelled yesterday because they no longer offer this screen on this model. Bye bye Dell, hello Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom