• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dell monitor loses settings when powered off

Franco50

Established Member
Not sure if this is really a monitor issue or a Windows one so I may be in the wrong forum! I have just acquired a "new" (i.e. used) PC at work from a colleague who has left. It is a Dell Optiplex 745 with a 17 inch LCD monitor (model 1703FP) and running Windows XP Professional. I prefer using a resolution of 1152x864 as opposed to 1024x768 and when I change to this in Properties/Settings everything is fine and the screen displays the way I want. However when the PC is shut down and started up again, the display has a black border of approx 25mm all round. The usable part of the screen has been compressed into this smaller area - a bit like when your wallpaper photo is set to centre as opposed to stretch! If I right click and choose Graphic Options > Panel fit > Full Screen No Borders everything is hunky dory again until the next time I power on and I have to go through that routine again. I am also losing the XP style 'skin' which I selected in Properties - when the PC is powered off/on it reverts back to Windows Classic.

I thought perhaps the graphics card in the PC maybe wasn't a good enough spec but the fact that it does show the correct resolution while the PC is on would perhaps suggest that is not the problem. The graphics adapter in Properties is set to "Plug and Play monitor on Intel Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family" if that has any bearing on things.

It's not the end of the world if there isn't a fix as I can revert to using 1024x768 but these sort of problems bug me if I can't explain them! ;)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It sounds like the problem is with windows rather than the monitor - is the panel fit option in there rather than the screen's OSD?

What happen if you set it to the monitor's native resolution of 1280×1024?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom