1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell memory help please

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Jules, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    We have a Dell PC (not the main PC) which has only 256 RAM and needs more.

I've heared rumours that only Dell memory works with Dell computers, is this true?
    I can get what looks like the right kind of 512Mb memory from microdirect for £30, or £70 from Dell!
    I'm a bit of PC dunce, so any help would be aprreciated.

Also, I'm thinking of adding a good graphics card to the main PC and hook it up to my Sony HS50 projector.
    I have no intention of playing games on the PC, but I do want the best graphics card for the projector. Any suggestions.

Thanks

2. martin123

martin123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just make sure you use the right speed memory e.g. 266, 333, 400 & you'l be fine

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Thanks.

Just placed an order (I think) with micro-direct, and it was possibly the worst online shopping experience I've had so far.

The order form was buggy and kept clearing my address details, information was not clear, there's no email confirmation and the wording at the end of the order form leaves you in doubt as to whether it was successful or not.

I now don't know if I've ordered it or not. Very poor, and I won't be using them again.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I'd be careful with Dell. I upgrade a fair few of them at work and have only ever used 'Dell Compatable' memory with them. I think some may be ok with generic RAM, but others do need Dell specific RAM.
    To play it safe Click Here and enter your PC make & model and it will tell you exactly what RAM you need.

Mark.

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Normally can't go far wrong with Crucial. Guaranteed compatibilty, easy to select right memory for your hardware and fast efficient service. Used them 2 or 3 times and am yet to be let down.

6. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    kingston also have an easy to use web page, just enter your PC's details and they will recommend the correct ram! :thumbsup:

http://www.kingston.com/