Dell latitude D610 to LG 550 tv audio problem

tallis

Standard Member
Hi,

Have been unsuccessfully trying to watch iplayer (can't get any sound from tv) from Dell on LG lcd tv via vga lead into VGA port on tv (labelled RGB in (PC)) and using a 3.5mm headphone jack from headphone socket on Dell to dedicated 3.5mm socket on back of tv (labelled audio in/RGB dvi). This doesn't work so tried using every other possible connection for jack to try and get sound through tv i.e headphone socket on tv (although I know from reading dozens of threads that this won't work anyway as it is seperate from the audio required for the VGA - but desperate times lead to desperately stupid attempts to make it work!).

As mentioned I have tried all sorts of things from searching online and from what I have read this should work but doesn't. The tv has no audio option to choose other than the usual input menu to choose which device you are watching which works fine as I get a great picture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a geek but I'm not a technophobe either and am at the stage of pulling my hair out because I'm totally nonplussed now. Bought the cables from Cables and Leads online and followed their instructions - sounded so simple but alas...:rolleyes:

next010

Distinguished Member
Is the default audio output in the Windows control panel set to the 3.5mm audio output because if it isn't that would explain why.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Yes, the sound from the laptop will need to be on (not muted) and at quite a high level (if not at max) for the TV. Assuming you have pics on the TV then the dvi-in sounds the correct connector to use.
Post exact model of TV and someone may know for certain.
With lead unplugged from laptop's headphone socket you should hear iPlayer sound from the laptop speakers ... do you?

tallis

Standard Member
Yes, the sound from the laptop will need to be on (not muted) and at quite a high level (if not at max) for the TV. Assuming you have pics on the TV then the dvi-in sounds the correct connector to use.
Post exact model of TV and someone may know for certain.
With lead unplugged from laptop's headphone socket you should hear iPlayer sound from the laptop speakers ... do you?

Hi,

Tv is LG 32LD550. I do indeed get sound when the headphone socket is unplugged, and the sound is on max. This seems to be something people struggle with a lot from what I have read.

Thanks for reply!

tallis

Standard Member
Is the default audio output in the Windows control panel set to the 3.5mm audio output because if it isn't that would explain why.

Hi,

Not sure where you mean? On the laptop the only audio selection is in the advanced settings of audio properties drop down box. I have selected every one laboriously one by one to see which would work but none do. Is there something else I could do?

Thanks for your reply.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom