Dell Laptop Keeps Crashing, Please Advise Me

TullyK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I've had my Dell Studio Laptop since last christmas, so about 16 months, it's been really good, picking up some normal niggles along the way, but over the last couple of weeks it has been freezing and causing me to reboot by holding the power button.

The problem occurs at several moments:
1. When opening adobe reader to view an exam mark scheme (sometimes immediately sometimes after a couple of minutes)
2. When the computer starts up and I try to open a program
3. When I watch any video ( this can be resolved by closing the program so I suspect is a different problem)

It doesn't happen every time but I would say over 50%
I have run an expired McAfee virus scan and also Microsoft Security Essentials Scan

I am asking for your advice on the best course of action for me to take,

Thanks you very much in advance for you time and advice

TullyK

Does it freeze solid and the mouse pointer won't move?

If so, it sounds like a hardware problem and I'd guess it's overheating.

Does the fan output plenty of hot air? or can you hardly feel a draught?

Thanks for replying so promptly, normally the mouse continues to move to start with, but sometimes freezes. Also the start bar will 'glow' when you mouseover but will also freeze upon clicking on it.

I'm not aware of any fan problems

Thank you

do you have a CPU/RAM meter running? There is a basic one in the windows gadgets (right click desktop). or CTRL-ALT-DEL and run task manager. Its possible something is using up all the CPU and stopping you doing anything else.

I do have this running, and sometimes it does run high but it is unrelated to the problems I'm having. Is there anything I can use that will do a massive cleanup and hopefully clear out some problems, or should I contact a professional?

Thank you once again

Start with ccleaner (free download) which has several tools to cleanup your computer, run the registry cleaner and anything else that takes your fancy and report back.

I have run an expired McAfee virus scan and also Microsoft Security Essentials Scan
If you are running two anti-virus programs at the same time (even if one is expired) that is a very bad idea.

I would backup all your data and use the Dell recovery software to reinstall Windows.

I have downloaded and run CCleaner, it said it removed about 4.5GB of stuff, but I'm still having problems and think it's getting worse. This is when it occurs most often:
-When using a pdf. for more than a minute or so
-Viewing files in windows explorer such as my documents or my pictures

I have completelly deleted Safari which was my prefered browser and am now using Internet Explorer which was preinstalled by Dell and it seems to run better but I have still had crashes!

Reinstalling windows is something I've been thinking about but I have a couple of questions since you know about it:
1. Will it definitely get rid of all problems?
2. Won't some of the problems be in the files I will back up and simply return once I put all the backed up files back on?

Thank you very much for you help, although I had to restart over 5 times today I feel like I'm going to get somewhere with your help

TullyK

Thanks for replying so promptly, normally the mouse continues to move to start with, but sometimes freezes. Also the start bar will 'glow' when you mouseover but will also freeze upon clicking on it.

I'm not aware of any fan problems

Thank you

I know this was an old issue but can you confirm that there is good air flow out of the cooling vents?

The air vents are clear and the laptop is used either on a desk or placed on a book when used as a 'lap top' as to not restrict air flow. The fans sound the same as they always have, and the computer gets no hotter than I am used to from a laptop

Hope this is the information you need, Thanks

I'd say backup your docs, music, etc.. And reinstall windows and Programs. If the problem is hidden inside one of your docs then it can only be a virus or similar and this would normally be detected by running a full AV scan. If that is clear then you should be OK.

You need to be aware that the issue may be hardware related such as a failing hard drive or memory but you e got to start somewhere and a reinstall is usually the best place!

Thank you very much SteveU30, if the problem persits I will take your advice!

A quicker fix can sometimes be to stop background running programs running on every boot which you don't need. Most people only really need their av software running all the time.

Click start, type msconfig in the run box, press enter. Click the startup tab and click disable all, then go down the list and put a tick in anything relating to your av software. Then click services. Put a tick in the hide all Microsoft services box and then click disable all, again putting a tick back in any boxes related to your av software. Click ok then reboot.

If you have the same issue do the same again but remove the ticks for the av software as it could be those causing problems. You could try removing on of the security software and trying a program called malware bytes if the problem still persists.

Failing that a recovery once data is backed up really would be best.

Click start search>administative tools>event viewer>check the logs here to see if any program etc is flagged up.Check all the logs application,security,setup,system and the overview log any unexpected shutdowns crashes should be listed in here,as warning or critical and the reason for it.If there are too many to check through clear all the logs and recheck them as soon as the problem reccurs.

Thank you both for your advice, I have disabled almost all startup programmes in msconfig and will see what happens.
I also checked the logs and there were a lot of warnings and errors but too many to identify any shutdown ones. What should I do if I find one?

Thank you once again

Try clearing the logs and then check it as soon as it happens again,google the error this should point you to the cause.Post back someone will always try to help you out.

Thanks, I'll get in touch when I encounter something suspicious

Okay so this problem is persisting, and I've found some errors in the logs just at the time of the last crash, here are some screenshots of the errors:

4 This one is 'Critical'

Please have a look and tell me if you can see anything with your experienced eyes,

Some of the screenshots have for some reason come out as 2 pictures so you can only see the top half, this is probably to do with my inefficient method of using paint! If you need I will redo these ones please just ask as I need all your advice!

Thank you very much

Last edited:
What programme did you open or have running when this occured ? Go to the Dell page for your laptop see if there are any updated drivers for the vid and sound devices,if there are update them all,and try opening the same things you had running at the time.Is it a realtek driver by any chance.

I had Internet Explorer running when this happened I think, but it happened just before when I had the event viewer open. Also the update that happens when I turn my computer off no longer works, it just remaines on updating 1 of 4 for ever and never works, not sure if this is related, I have tried updating manually but got an error message

Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom