• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dell is confusing me

Craigy

Distinguished Member
Just looking into a new Desktop, would love the new Nvidea HD5970 Graphics card if not now then to upgrade to at some point, when I click on tech specs: Alienware Aurora Desktop Details | Dell UK it basically tells you what Motherboard allows what components, the issue I have is when trying to customise the order it does not seem to tell you what motherboard you are buying?

Obviously I must be missing something, any advice please?

MOTHERBOARD OPTIONS

its under the motherboard and shassis form factor box.

you have 3 or 4 options in there

on the left hand side column it goes

motherboard and chassis form factor
system dimensions
power supply options
motherboard options
chipset architecture options
processor options

* AlienwareTM Approved Intel® P55 MicroATX Motherboard (Standard)
* Socket 1156, Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory Support
* AlienwareTM Approved Intel® X58 MicroATX Motherboard (Standard with Intel® X58 Architecture)
* Socket 1366, 900 Series Intel® CoreTM i7 Ready, Dual Triple-Channel DDR3 Memory Support

Craigy

Distinguished Member
* AlienwareTM Approved Intel® P55 MicroATX Motherboard (Standard)
* Socket 1156, Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory Support
* AlienwareTM Approved Intel® X58 MicroATX Motherboard (Standard with Intel® X58 Architecture)
* Socket 1366, 900 Series Intel® CoreTM i7 Ready, Dual Triple-Channel DDR3 Memory Support

Yes, it says that on the Tech specs link which I posted, but not when saying Customise and Buy, it gives you the option for two cases and then straight underneath it goes to the processor, how do you select which motherboard you want?

2 motherboard options, 3 processor options, one of these cpu's uses the same socket, i3 and i5 use the same socket, HOWEVER i7 uses a different socket, so by choosing the i7 cpu your preset to choosing the i7 mobo as an i3/i5 mobo wouldnt be any use.

sorry for that, got confused on what u meant before lol.

okay the P55 uses the i3 and i5 cpus

only the x58 uses i7 cpu's and neither of the 2 above.

if you choose the i3 or i5 you will get the top mobo

if you choose the i7 you get the bottom mobo.

just to clarify wht i already said really lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom