1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Inspiron 9300 vs Acer Aspire 5024WLMI

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lcarter, Oct 18, 2005.

1. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay it seems like I cant get hold of a Acer Aspire 5024WLMI with 1024RAM and 100GB HDD, so which one out of these two should I maybe go for?

Dell Inspiron 9300 1024RAM with 60GB HDD 17" widescreen Graphic Card 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 Graphics card for £844

or

Acer Aspire 5024WLMI 512RAM with 80GB HDD 15.4" widescreen Graphics 128MB ATi Radeon X700 for £850

Which one would be the better choice?

Your help would be appreciated.

2. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    Depends on what you want to do with it, gaming, office work, multi-media etc....

If you can afford it go for the Dell with an upgraded graphics card and it is near perfect. I've got the 9100 with 256Mb Radeon, 2Gb, blah blah...

The Acer is lowish on RAM but that is cheap to upgrade afterwards compared to from the supplier...The Radeon should be ok for most games depending on the screen resolution used...But the bottleneck is the 80Gb HDD, that is a very slow model...The 60Gb are noticeably faster if it is the 7200rpm variety....

It all comes down to what you want from it...

3. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I dont think I will be playing many games think it will mainly be for office work and multimedia.
    Will use it for internet and for burning cd's and dvd's.

I wondered which would be better as the Dell Inspiron offer finishes tomorrow so thought it better to ask before committing myself.

I have heard that the Acer range are quite good.

As this will be my first laptop I just was not sure

4. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you build your own?

The last time I bought a PC off the shelf was when I was about 11 - a Toshiba Infineon I think it was called. It was the best PC around then!

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    LOL If you can point him to a place where you can get laptop cases, video cards, etc..etc...He might be interested....

Please read before you provide advice, both models provided are laptops duh!

6. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I will go that route I am what they say a dumb ladeeey but I wouldnt have a clue how to build my own desktop let alone a laptop.

Well I will have to make my mind up today as the dell offer finishes today or tomorrow

Txs for all your input tho

7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    To be honest, I wouldn't go for the Dell...It's got the slow version of the 60Gb hard disk, it is way underpowered in the graphics department for its large screen and then it is big and heavy as well....If you can afford to upgrade the hard disk and graphics card to specs worthy of 2005 then go for the dell as their support is really good...

Go for the Acer instead...Much better specs....Do you realise you can get a free 3G data-card when you buy it through Shopacer.co.uk....If you don't want it, you can sell it via e-bay for about £100....Could be worthwhile....

Good luck...

8. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Txs Jean-Paul, at least I now know what one I am gonna go for and it will be the Acer 50024WLMI - not a bad spec for the price and will look into the shopacer website.
    All I need now is to buy Nero 6, I know version 7 is out soon but think version 6 is all i need and it will be cheaper.

Phew I am just pleased that at least I know what I will be getting.

Thank you for everyone's help

9. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    I think you will enjoy the Acer, seems a decent spec for the money! On the Nero front, I was yesterday in PCWorld (lost my laptop powercable and it is a special clover version that nobody sells...) and noticed Nero7 out, it was actually the same price in that shop as Nero6....About 59....But....I would wait a moment before you buy it. The Acer comes with a DVD writer I think, so most likely it will be supplied with burning software....

10. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a 9100Inspiron user, the 1680x1050 screen is superb.

Unfortunatly the rest of the package is a bag of s*ite - I'd never buy a dell again (5th motherboard already), and I'd always recommend getting an extended warranty to anyone who buys one. I, the fool I am, didn't ans the last m/baord went 3 days after warranty expired :thumbsdow

11. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow seems like a lot of hassle with Dell and for the amount of money you spend on a laptop at least you expect is good service.
    I'm glad I have gone the Acer route, hopefully I won't have any trouble, fingers croseed and all that. I have gone for an extra 2 years warranty as well.
    Didnt think of that the burning software will wait until I receive laptop then decide, although I have got Roxio but I just cant get to grips with it and have seen that Nero is very good and easy to understand.
    Tx to you all

12. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Well, I've had the Dell Inspiron 9300 for about 6 months now, cost me £1370 then, but I did go with Nvidia 6800 Go, faster CPU, larger HDD and 1 Gig DDR2 RAM and the WUXGA (1920 x 1280) LCD, consequently it can be used as a Top Gaming machine a HTPC, basically a desktop replacement, but it is on the large side though, so maybe it's overkill for most.