Question Dell Inspiron 5000 or Equivalent

Jonesy012

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have been out of the 'laptop' buying game for a while now, but have been tasked with sourcing a sub-£500 laptop for some of the family.

I've done my own research, and found the Dell Inspiron 5000 on Amazon UK looking like a good buy, but it is similar to the one I was given at work and, although a good all-round runner, the resolution is something I simply find unacceptable in almost 2017.

I've looked about but cannot settle on a good alternative for the follow tasks:
  • Multimedia management, photos, video playback etc.
  • Blu-Ray player.
  • General browsing.
  • Microsoft Office and productivity.
  • Possibly very light gaming, think online games for children aged 6 and 9.
It also needs to be between 13" and 15" while remaining portable enough to easily take to relatives homes. Since it will most often be on the desk at home, as long as it isn't 17"+ and 5kg it should be fine.

This Lenovo Ideapad 100 is another option, but again has the 720p resolution and the battery life looks quite poor.

Can anybody offer any advice on good Acer laptops as I haven't had experience with them for years, but know they are usually good value for money.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
1600x900 is generally only found on 17" laptops these days, until 3200x1600 becomes popular the only alternative generally available is 1920x1080 which is too small for some people (especially at 13") so you end up with loss of sharpness because it has to be scaled by a fraction. The resolution situation on laptops is fairly lousy all round at the moment.

Although picture quality is finally improving. 150:1 contrast and 150cd/m² brightness is thankfully a lot rarer than it used to be.

Also, blu-ray drives are rather rare. Neither of the two models you've linked have one. You may have to settle for an external drive in your budget.

The dell outlet is having a sale at the moment, they have some inspiron 15" and 13" full hd screens for a reasonable price with a full years dell collect and return warranty. You get 10% off the marked price too.
Dell Outlet Coupons, Discounts & Offers

The inspiron 15" comes with a dvd drive

I just bought an i5 1080p touchscreen 13" Inspiron for £440 all in, which i thought was a good deal.

What did you go for in the end as I am on a similar quest / budget and have given myself a headache? No 1 offspring (age 15) is adamant he wants a HP - Father Christmas may not agree :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom