Dell E228wfp

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Hawklord, May 4, 2007.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    Hi, Just took delivery of this monitor and was wondering if anyone has the best settings for this display to get optimum picture quality.
    The default settings seem fine but if there are better settings to be suggested then suggest away

I've only ever had a 4:3 monitor up to now for the pc so I'm looking forward to some widescreen gaming

I'm going to try all my games out at the new res of 1680x1050 (used to be 1280x1024) and see if I need a graphics card upgrade too. I'm currently using an X1950pro 512mb card so here's hoping it will be able to cope or I'll have to get an 8800 or R600 equivalent (which ever gives best value for money).

Any other views on wide screen gaming are welcome too

2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    you should be fine with whatever settings you used to use @ 1280x1024 just about. the x9105pro's are good cards, you may not get away with much FSAA though.

as for settings i dont knoe really, it seems to me that they are a budget panel 1 set of settings may not work well on two different displays, you know?

anyway, ive got both the contrast and brightness set to 75 on mine. 81 red / 100 green / 100 blue. its a nice display, nice and fast, black performance is pretty good but mine seems to add a red tinge to everything. its not really a problem though:)

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I should be getting one of these monitors too so would like to know what settings are best.

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
  5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i never said it wasnt good for the money, but next to a 2407 and my 40w2000 the picture is definately budget. it has no height adjustment and no component input either :) £240 for a 22" is what i would call budget :)

also it is only red sitting next to my sony, which is spot on. like i said its not really a problem, but it isnt perfect. your first link doesnt work, by the way.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I've been reading some comments on other forums that suggest that the panel is subject to significant light bleed. Have you guys experienced this?

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    I haven't noticed any light bleed and I've used the monitor in very low light conditions.

8. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    no component inputs???? who the hell cares its a flippin pc monitor not a tv:suicide:

pic is superb, i have no bleeding on mine and the response time is top notch, colour vibrancy and depth are superb and well chuffed with mine (£183 after quidco!!).

definitlely not a budget monitor imo, i've seen 22 inch jobbies at near 150 quid now thats budget, admittedly its not as good as the 24 dell but for the difference in cost its a no brainer.

i cant run much on my ati fire glx1 at full rez but my new build with a 8800 gts should see me right, cant wait

9. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    :confused: its a tn panel, meaning lower contrast ratios and worse view angles than newer type panels (not that i care abotu viewing angles personally, you sit in front of a monitor after all, not to the side of it).

secondly, its a 6bit panel, not 8bit or 10 like the newer type panels, meaning colour reproduction isnt as good, thats a fact you cant argue with, and even the review Hawklord linked to states this. Look make no mistake im very pleased with the monitor - its half the price of a 24" and the responce times are excellent. But what can i say? i guess when you've seen better you quickly see the shortfalls in different tft panels.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide_19.html a nice explanation of tn panels:)

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I obviously haven't been helping myself, but I've been searching the web and light bleeding seems to be a consistent concern. I'll see how mine is when it comes, if I'm not happy I may just sell it and buy the Samsung SM226BW instead.

11. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    If you can find somewhere with stock at a reasonable price, I've got some pre-orders in, but no confirmation as to when they'll be in stock, too popular, suppose that's a good thing! :smashin:

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Play.com have 18th May and apparently are guranteeing the 'S' panels. The date has slipped so many times, so I guess we're playing a waiting game right now.

13. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    I got sick of waiting which is why I bought the Dell. The dates have been put back three times now and i'd been waiting nearly 6 weeks already.

I'm not dissapointed with the Dell but was looking forward to getting the Samsung

14. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Seems we keep running into each other, Tejstar.

<-- Aion from HUKD :hiya:

Backlight bleed is mentioned by nearly everyone on the net who owns one of these, even in the review by the German guy posted above. It's a pretty safe bet that 99% of these have backlight bleed along the top and bottom.

My new Dell computer and E228WFP are coming on Friday morning - Still not decided if I'm going to open the monitor or try and sell it on eBay sealed. I know for a fact I'll hate it with passion if it has the serious backlight bleed along the bottom I'm expecting AND dead/very stuck pixels.

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Hey buddy - small world! :D

I'm expecting mine tomorrow morning too and am hoping that people that get theirs around the same date will give their opinion before we rip open ours! I might just run mine on my 19" CRT until then!

16. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    mine has bleed but taking a photo of it makes it look 10 times worse. it really isnt that bad in person

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    More or less the same as other TN panels?

18. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    more then my old 19" acer which had none, but not a lot. its not really noticeable unles your looking for it. its there, but only obviously on a black screen:)

19. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Thanks James. I do wonder that if it had not been brought up as an issue whether I would have noticed it in the first place!

20. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Ha ha, my bad. I didn't mean to inject the same backlight phobia I have into you!

Saying it only appears on a black screen doesn't mean you won't see it. What about dark scenes on movies when you're watching it at night? I know my current monitor makes me want to avoid watching anyhing dark.

21. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Being an AV enthusiast means it's very hard not to escape the phobia about most purchases! :laugh:

22. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Not good. If you read this Tej, stay well away from it.

Buzzing: The first thing I noticed about the monitor is a loud and constant buzzing, which was mentioned by someone a few pages back (on HUKD). It stopped after about 30 minutes...then started again whenever I adjusted the brightness, stopping when I changed it back to how it was before.

Backlight: As expected, the monitor has serious backlight problems. The bottom of the screen is completely blusih white on anything dark, so you wouldn't be able to enjoy watching movies at all. The very top of the screen isn't free from backlight bleed (not blusish), but it's nowhere near as bad as the bottom 1/3 of the screen.

Flickering: The other issue I'm noticing when using the supplied VGA cable (not tried DVI, would need to use my old computer...) is the screen flickering, showing up worse on dark colours. You can only select one refresh rate at 1680x1050 on this monitor (60Hz).

Banding: Some banding did show on my quick test, nothing too serious. You wouldn't notice unless you did graphic work on your monitor.

It's a shame, the picture quality would look good without the first three problems. You really notice how big 22" is compared to 19", I'd love having a decent monitor at this size.

Anyway, I need some help and information now...

Would I be in my rights to demand a refund for the monitor alone?
    What's Dell like on replacements?

23. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i would say so. mine doesnt buzz at all and my backligh isnt nearly as bad as yours sounds. i also got no flickering:s

24. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The problem here is that I want to keep the E520 I got with it. Will they refund the monitor part of the deal?

Even the E520 has a problem - The PSU doesn't have a connector shown in the specifications that's required to use the high quality graphic cards. >_<

25. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I'll probably flog mine on ebay as I want to keep the base unit. I may look to buy the Samsung or LG 22" when they're readily available.

26. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I sold my Dell 22" on ebay yesterday, got just over &#163;190 (after fees) which isn't too bad. Will use this to fund a Samsung 226BW purchase!