Dell E228 problem at 1680x1050

emporer

Banned
Just got my Dell E228 22 inch lcd and its not giving any joy at 1680x1050. My gfx card is a Ati FireGL X1 and I have put on the latest driver as the display properties wouldn't let me go above 1280x1024, after the new drivers its got a full rez listed but when I choose it(1680x1050) the monitor initially displays the right rez but after a second it goes black as if its lost connection (the monitor input signal appears)it then flashes back and forth for a scond or two each time. When I stick it back to 1280x1024 its ok but the rez is awfull on a monitor like this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
get the driver for the monitor installed if you haven't already, and also try using a different refresh rate in the advanced display properties..

You should definitely get a stable image @60hz with your hardware....

emporer

Banned
monitor sriver is on, at different resolutions above 1280x1024 it flicks to the new rez for a sec then goes on and off until it times out and then back to 1280x1024. Ive tried different refresh rates 60/75 but no go. However, i installed powerstrip and using a custom refresh rate of 59 it is stable at 1680x1050. Any ideas why its not going to 60 or above? The monitor is listed in windows as a max refresh rate of 75, could it be my gfx card not doing things right or could the monitor be faulty?

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
The Dell spec sheet says 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (65.0 kHz Horizontal, 60.0 Hz Vertical, VESA, 1680 x 1050 146.25 MHz).

It doesn't matter what the refresh rate is on LCDs as long as it looks OK to you.

emporer

Banned
Funny thing is that from within windows display properies if I choose 1680x1050 and 60hz it just flickers but if I set powerstrip up to do the same ie - H65.343khz - V60.003hz then its fine.

I was trying to establish whether the problem lay with my monitor or my gfx card, i'm now coming round to the fact that the gfx card is about 3 years old and will probably need replacing soon for something a bit meatier.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
I was trying to establish whether the problem lay with my monitor or my gfx card, i'm now coming round to the fact that the gfx card is about 3 years old and will probably need replacing soon for something a bit meatier.

I looked up the specs of your graphics card and it looks fairly amazing to me!

It's probably some slight error in the Plug n Play mechanism between the monitor and graphics card. It should all work seemlessly without the need to fiddle with it manually.

emporer

Banned
It should work but for some reason decides to play up without the help from powerstrip,its obviously something to do with the driver i think as from my lappy i can connect via vga and output 1680x1050 quite happily, i did think it may be a faulty dvi port but not so sure now, i shall make sure in the next day or so when i test the monitor on a different pc. If its working fine with powerstrip active then its down to software I think. Good job i'm planning a new pc build for next month.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
Yeah, you've already proved it's a software problem, I wouldn't worry about your either your monitor or your graphics! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom