• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dell Dimension E520 - wont boot up - Help

nobby1963

Established Member
I've got a Dell Dimension E520 that is just over 2 years old. Went away for the w/end & powered it down & when I got back it refuses to boot up. Nothing at all displays on the monitor, on the tower the power light comes on & stays illuminated green & of the 4 diagnostic lights that are on the front of the tower 1,3 & 4 illuminate again green as soon as you power up & stay that way.
It briefly attempts disk access as this light comes on very briefly but the fan just kicks in & nothing else happens..
I have downloaded via my laptop the service manual for this pc & unfortunately this combination of diagnostic lights is not illustrated.
I have reseated most of the components in an attempt to see if that helps but so far nogo.
Anyone any ideas please.

mdbarber

Established Member
remove any non original cards and reset the bios, make sure to unplug the atx cable when you do this.
check 2032 battery with a meter and replace if necess.

nobby1963

Established Member
Sorry to be a pain, I'm not computer illiterate but could do with you explaining a little clearer if at all poss ! There are no non original Dell parts in the pc.
Thanks for your reply.

mdbarber

Established Member
Well if the mainboard has on-board graphics and also an seperate gfx card remove that and any other all non essential cards(if any) in the expansion slots.
To be sure also disconnect all connected drives and usb devices.
To reset the bios, remove the power connectors from the mainboard and take out the battery which is coin size and shiny ;) leave out for half an hour then reattach power connectors and try booting now. remember to attach monitor to on-board gfx if that is how it is setup.

nobby1963

Established Member
Thanks for that I'll give it a go now !

nobby1963

Established Member
Well maddogb, after leaving for half-hour & putting back together again it actually started to boot up, I did get an error stating 'System battery voltage low', but it did finish the boot okay, do you know if that actually means the round silver battery or is that referring to something else ?
Anyway if you can answer that one as well I'd really appreciate it as I'll obviously be very wary of actually powering down again in case the same thing happens again but if its just the case of replacing battery !!
Thank you for all your assistance, it is very much appreciated.
Make sure I now do a full backup before I do anything else.

mdbarber

Established Member
Well maddogb, after leaving for half-hour & putting back together again it actually started to boot up, I did get an error stating 'System battery voltage low', but it did finish the boot okay, do you know if that actually means the round silver battery or is that referring to something else ?
Anyway if you can answer that one as well I'd really appreciate it as I'll obviously be very wary of actually powering down again in case the same thing happens again but if its just the case of replacing battery !!
Thank you for all your assistance, it is very much appreciated.
Make sure I now do a full backup before I do anything else.

yeah it is referring to that battery, get a new one they available at a lot of chemists for a couple of quid.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom