• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

Dell Dimension 5000 with Radeon x1950 PRO 512mb

F

freddie_ta

Hi everyone,

Not really done much upgrading before, but felt it was time to give my 5000 a bit of a boost. Ive got 2gig RAM now, but want to look at upgrading my graphics from the RAdeon x300 SE it came with.

I've looked at the Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB PCI-e card, as it fits with my budget, and seems to have a decent enough spec for what I need, however I cant find any info on whether or not I will be able to fit the card to the 5000, and ive found conflicting evidence, some saying it will be fine, others saying the PSU will need upgrading.

Basically I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this will work or point me in the direction of a suitable alternative card.

Any help gratefully appreciated Freddie

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I have the Dell E520 and I upgraded my PSU to install a X1950Pro 256MB. Some will say that the Dell PSU is quite efficient, but personally I don't like taking a risk.

Not sure about whether it will fit your case though.

F

freddie_ta

Think the way id need to go is upgrade PSU as well as the card, apparently dell PSU's are a pain in the ass to exchange as well, wish i had the money to start from scratch!!!

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Well I got some money back from Dell as the PSu didn't not have the molex connector that was described in the manual. I kicked up a fuss and they refunded me £35 which went towards a Corsair HS520! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom