1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Dimension 5000 - Super Quiet Machine

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by loz, Jan 31, 2005.

1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Just wanted to say how quiet my new Dimension 5000 is.

It isn't quite silent, but compared to normal Dell and your average desktop, this is something of a revelation.

Though it doesn't have the style of a pucka HTPC, it is nontheless very smart with brushed aluminium side panels. The front panel still looks like your normal corporate PC mess unfortunately. All it needed was a simple door to cover the bays.

Its low noise is down to the new BTX form factor from what I understand. Dell claim it is 40% quieter and cooler. I think it is even more than that.
    Tucked away under my desk I can't hear a thing. I have to put my head under the desk to check its still running :)

Is any other vendor selling BTX-based machines yet?

Seems like this is a first. Not even available in the US yet!
    That must be unusual, Dell UK preceeding the US in introducing a new machine.

Price wise, it is usual good Dell Value for money.
    I got 3.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 250gb Disk, 16x dual layer DVDRW + DVD-ROM, ATI X300 128mb graphics, 19" Ultrasharp TFT connected via DVI (very nice unit), and 4 year next day onsite for a grand.

Breezes through WMV-HD