Dell Dimension 5000 - gaming upgrade options

Barbs

Novice Member
Hi all,

I currently have a Dell Dimension 5000 that I am looking to upgrade for better gaming performance. The base spec is: p4 3 GHz; 2 Gb RAM; BFG 6600 GT OC; Dell 17” ultrasharp monitor… and all the rest is good ole standard Dell.

I play a fair bit of online FPS (COD2, BF2, BF2142 etc) and I am looking to squeeze more out of this rig (missus won’t let me upgrade :nono:). I was considering the obvious routes of graphics (card and/or monitor), but would be keen to see what other people think – any recommendations?

If I change graphics I expect that I’d be looking at a ATI X1950 Pro – any better for the £100 price bracket?

I have been checking monitors… but I am not even sure what to go for – any suggestions?

Thanks.

Barbs.

Mooky55

I would try and get a DX10 GPU if I could (8600GT or best 8Series Nvidia card you can afford)... but yes I would say the only thing you can do is upgrade the GPU...

Barbs

Novice Member
I did consider getting a DX10 card - but will it really be necessary? Considernig the extra cost (which could go towards a monitor :)) - would I not do well enough with a DX9 card? or even the X1950 XT (which gets far better reviews from Toms Hardware).

I don't want to limit the gaming in the future, but at the same time I'd prefer not to pay for the latest toys if the games out there don't require it (yet:rolleyes:).

Are there any 20-22" monitors that anyone would recommend for my needs?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom